Jew hatred

Arnold Richards

Aug 2, 2022, 3:28:11 PM8/2/22
to clios...@googlegroups.com
ConfinoReviewEdit2Final.doc

Hans Bakker

Aug 2, 2022, 5:44:33 PM8/2/22
to clios...@googlegroups.com, Tony F Desmond, Tony Winson
Dear Arnold,

Thank you very much for sending me your book review of the book by Alon Confino (date?). Is it due to be published somewhere?

Yes, it is quite true that a good argument can be made for the idea that it was not "all" about "race".

I had a discussion with my colleague Tony F. Desmond about the topic. He is a mathematician, and he stressed the fact that many statisticians were Eugenicists and racists. They were racists against many perceived "races" (e.g. Arabs) and not "just" the people called the Jews. He was certainly right to point out that racism as a general category does not necessarily have any direct relationship to "religion" (as normally defined).

But what I tried to stress is that one key thing that has to be considered very carefully is that the denial of the idea that God Himself came to earth to save all of "mankind" (humanity) makes the continuation of pre-1st century beliefs a concern for "true believers". It is not just a matter of "roots". It is matter of directly denying the key theological point of the Trinity: God Himself appeared on earth (for approximately 33 years). The key idea is that Iesu (Greek) did not just pop in and He was not just another Mashiach. Instead, he was considered to be THE Mashiach, the Messiah.

It is difficult for those of us who are not really Christians to even begin to imagine what it must be like to REALLY believe that God Himself came to planet earth to "save" humankind. Y

You touch on this on p. 3 of your draft: "... the Jews were hated because of their refusal to be saved by the son and chose to remain 'chosen' [page no.?]." But a few more sentences would be helpful. The "son" is not just a human being or "just" a god. The theological idea is that He was (and still is) God (Gott). All of Tanakh is considered merely preliminary, in a way.

I have learned a great deal about "the Bible" by reading James Kugel.

Your comments about Freud (1939) are illuminating. If Judaism were "only" the Father religion and Christianity were "only" the Son religion then Freud's idea about applying the Oedipus complex theory would be quite apt.

However, what that ignores is the theological point that the Son is the Father (two "persons"). Moreover, both Son and Father are still with us as the "Holy Ghost" (Holy Spirit). The "catholic" church split on this very point in 1054 and Orthodox Catholics (e.g., in Greece) refused to accept the homoousia principle.

I am interested in these issues for many reasons.

Several times I have pointed out that Randall Collins (1998) does a good job of looking at different "world religions" from a Comparative Historical Sociological (CHS) perspective.

I better stop now. It is time to eat dinner. But I hope we can continue to dialogue about these important issues.

The idea of Jews versus Goyim (Goys) is a related topic.

I often look at articles on Tablet (on line, for free).

Sincerely,

Hans
J. I. Bakker

P.S.: My name is often thought of as "German", but it is not. It is a European name derived from the Greek ioannes and Latin ioannes/joannes. I am Frisian "Dutch" in the sense of being born in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.