Two big climate jobs this week

Climate Action Hobart

Sep 20, 2020, 12:05:15 AM9/20/20
to climateac...@googlegroups.com
 Good afternoon climate action folk
Lovely Spring day with a hint of rain. I'm going to send off this email and go back to the garden and have a bike ride (electric) round the Domain. I hope you have some heart-supporting activities too.

Important local things to do this week:

Job 1
The City of Hobart has been really active in substantially reducing municipal emissions, in being proactive in managing waste including plastic and in working with and supporting other Tasmanian Councils in climate planning. It was the first Australian capital city to declare a climate emergency.  It is now asking for comment on its Sustainable Hobart Action Plan . It's not what we have been hoping for  - we were expecting a full Strategic Plan like Melbourne's - but it is a clear statement of intent and we want to support that. The elected council is pretty much split down the middle on issues like climate action so it is important we make clear to them that we want our capital city to be proactive in creating a better and climate-safer Tasmania.

The Climate Action Hobart working group has written an article that we submitted to the Mercury Talking Point to stimulate discussion but it has not been published so it is attached below to give you some ideas.

You can read the Plan or the factsheet and the on-line survey at the link below. Grab yourself a coffee or a cup of tea and do it. (By Friday 25 Sept!)

Job 2
You will know that the Morrison government is going all out with plans for a gas-led recovery from Covid.  A crazy idea to entrench fossil fuels for decades.
The School Strikers are asking for our support again in a national campaign to challenge the gas-led recovery, focussed on this Friday 25 Sept. The hope is for hundreds of small events bringing the renewables not gas message to every town and community - it can be as simple as a group of you and your friends (safely distanced!) near your shopping centre with signs, a selfie with the message, a sign in your window.

Two things we can do.
First register your local event, do your thing on Friday and send photos to SS4C. Here's the link with lots of ideas and information:  https://www.schoolstrike4climate.com/buildourfuture

Climate Action Hobart has registered an event - one of our honkathons but this time on the footpath outside the Museum and Art Gallery in Macquarie St, 5 - 6 pm to capture people going home from work. Email us if you can come and bring a hi-vis vest if you have one. We'll have some Build Our Future Not Gas signs.

The second thing is to support the local School Strike for Climate event on Friday on Parliament Lawns, Hobart. It starts at 10 am and the students are running a series of 'Climate Classrooms' on the hour; there will be speakers and music and the courageous energy that is SS4C, finishing with the Climate Strike  2 - 3 pm.

You need to register because the organisers need to manage numbers.
Register for the general event at:   https://actionnetwork.org/events/hobart-sept-25-build-our-future
and
Register for the Strike and the Climate Classrooms and register as a marshall

10am-11am - How science can help us in the fight for our future
11am-12pm - The importance of humanities in our society and in our world
12pm-1pm - Putting a personal spin on the climate crisis
1pm-2pm - There can be no climate justice without racial and first nations justice
2pm-3pm - Climate Strike

Go well,
Margaret
for the CAH working group
Talking point_HCC_ClimateActionHobart.pdf