Climate Action Hobart

Apr 4, 2020, 6:34:58 AM4/4/20
to climateac...@googlegroups.com
Dear Climate Action supporters

We hope you are all doing OK. We hesitated to add to the stream of emails and Facebook posts telling you the world has changed and how we are adapting to it, but here we are.

The big theme of the media of every shape and of pretty much every actual human encounter (properly distanced of course!) is 'We are all in this together'. Where I live, there have been offers of help over the fence and lots of cheery conversations with people as we do the avoidance dance on the footpath or in the post office. Our Governments have set up financial safety nets. It is tiresome but most of us are safe and cared-for. (We do need to be very aware that some people are falling through these nets, migrant workers and asylum seekers for a start. Let's be generous and open-hearted. as this unfolds around the world)

I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that there is a lot to learn from what is happening now to teach us about dealing with climate change - how important speedy action is, how government can find money when it really sees the need for urgency, how interconnected we are and how dependent on a healthy ecology.  This enforced slowdown and quietness gives us a great opportunity to think about the Australia we really want when this is over. The Climate Action Hobart working group has started to meet via Zoom to continue working and discussing - if you would like to join us please email and we will send you the link and time (it will be early evening of Tuesday April 21).

Here are some links you may find useful when you aren't working your way through your COVID 19 jobs list  - I'm spending as much time as possible working in the garden but I have also tidied the bathroom cabinet and tried some new recipes. The garden shed is on the list for a serious clean-out. Like the the revived neighbourliness of our streets (socially distanced!), the internet is keeping us together.

https://chatterpack.net/blogs/blog/list-of-online-resources-for-anyone-who-is-isolated-at-home

Music from the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestral

#TSODailyDose

Couch Choir, a little piece of internet enabled joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HezxInuN1YA

https://theconversation.com/heres-what-the-coronavirus-pandemic-can-teach-us-about-tackling-climate-change-134399

https://www.greeninstitute.org.au/together-while-apart-web…/

The internet allows us not only to keep in touch with one another but also to keep working on climate issues, and there is still time to make a submission or a comment to the Review of the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act if you are looking for a solid piece of homework and an important issue to work on. There is no trigger in the Act relating to climate change impacts,which needs fixing!  A recently released report from the ANU makes very clear how systemic the failure of environmental law has been:

Here is the link for the EPBC Review. Closing date is April 17.
https://epbcactreview.environment.gov.au/get-involved#submission

You don't have to respond to all the questions or you can choose to write a statement. Make it personal and Tasmanian. We citizens don't need to be experts to see what needs to change.
The Environmental Defenders Office assistance is attached.
The Wilderness Society and the Australian Conservation Foundation (notes attached) are both assisting folk to develop submissions, including a webinar from TWS on Tues 7 April:

https://www.facebook.com/wilderness.society/posts/10157772098188500

Best wishes

Margaret
for the CAH working group

PS
If you need a chat feel free to ring me 0427 355 951

200221-EPBC-Act-Review-Discussion-Paper-Responses-EDO-Communtity-Guide (2).pdf
ACF_How to write a great EPBC review submission.pdf