AGU session on benchmarking for AI with open environmental datasets

Yuhan Douglas Rao

Aug 1, 2023, 10:14:38 AM8/1/23
to climate-info...@googlegroups.com

Dear colleagues,

We would like to draw your attention to the Informatics session “IN009 - Advancing AI with Open Env Datasets: Benchmarking Needs, Frameworks, Lessons Learned” at the next Fall AGU Meeting, 11-15 December 2023 in San Francisco CA, and online.

Session Viewer Linkhttps://agu.confex.com/agu/fm23/prelim.cgi/Session/187226

Session DescriptionBenchmark datasets, such as ImageNet, are instrumental for innovation in artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML). The infusion of AI, ML, and other advanced data science (DS) techniques is expanding exponentially to contribute to solving Earth system and space science problems. Thus, developing benchmark datasets, standards, and frameworks for evaluation, use, and publishing, and sharing lessons learned in a coordinated manner is needed to ensure AI/ML/DS applications continually increase our ability to predict complex physical processes with high levels of trust and explainability.

We invite presentations exploring both use case-specific and domain-agnostic benchmark standards and framework development, as well as domain-specific topics, such as climate and weather science, environmental justice, fire weather, ocean conservation, hydrology, space weather, and any other relevant topics.

Note that the abstract deadline is Wednesday, 2 August 2023 (23:59 EDT). Authors will be informed in September regarding the date and format (oral or poster) of their presentation.

If you have questions about our session, please feel free to contact us via the email addresses below.

Sincerely,

Rob Redmon, NOAA Center for AIrob.r...@noaa.gov

Douglas Rao, NC State University, CISESS, NOAA (dougl...@noaa.gov)

Eric Kihn, NOAA NCEI, (eric....@noaa.gov)