Computational Geoscientist at the University of Lausanne

Tom Beucler

Aug 1, 2022, 2:26:47 PM8/1/22
to Climate Informatics News

Computational Geoscientist at the University of Lausanne

The Institute of Earth Surface Dynamics (IDYST) and the Institute of Earth Sciences (ISTE) are hiring a computational geoscientist to develop, maintain, and improve their research codes. From geodynamics to climate change science via glaciology, our institutes cover a wide range of Earth system applications, most of which rely on numerically solving large systems of differential equations, statistical methods, or both. This position comes in support of the computational aspects of these projects, including code optimization, the implementation of best practices, and the efficient use of our supercomputing facilities. This is a research position where we expect an intellectual contribution to our projects aimed at solving the geoscientific, environmental, and climatic challenges of our time.

Apply here: https://career5.successfactors.eu/career?company=universitdP&career_job_req_id=19982&career_ns=job_listing&navBarLevel=JOB_SEARCH

before October 1st, 2022.

Job information

Expected start date: January 1st , 2023

Contract length: Permanent (subject to probation)

Activity rate: 100%

Workplace: Lausanne Mouline (Geopolis building), Switzerland

Your responsibilities

- Support for optimizing codes (including parallelization), specific for Earth/environmental applications, and for specific hardware (e.g. GPU, FPGA). Optimizing code performances contributes to UNIL’s sustainability goals.

- Implementation of high-performance and parallel computing related to the numerical solution of systems of PDEs (typically in collaboration with researchers).

- Support for the design of models based on machine learning for geoscientific applications (prediction algorithms, numerical schemes, etc.).

- Support for best practices in the programming, implementation, distribution, and documentation of code

- Publication of scientific research in collaboration with other researchers of the Faculty of Geosciences and Environment.

- Collaboration with and initiation of scientific research projects.

Your qualifications

- Masters or PhD degree in computer science, applied mathematics, or other disciplines involving computational research, such as computational geosciences, or equivalent.

- Proven record of expertise in programming high-performance algorithms for scientific computing (including parallel computing, machine learning, and numerical methods for physics-based differential equations systems). Familiarity with pertinent computational problems in the Earth, environmental,  or engineering sciences, or a strong interest to engage with such topics.

- Experience in multiple programming languages (e.g., Python, R, Fortran, C, C++, CUDA, Julia, Matlab) and computing platforms (CPU, GPU, FPGA).

- Ability to collaborate with multiple groups and to create bridges across topics and disciplines. Ability to manage complex tasks autonomously.

- Excellent skills in written and spoken English.

What the position offers you

We offer a nice working place in a multicultural, diverse, and dynamic academic environment. Opportunities for professional training, a lot of activities, and other benefits to discover.

Contact for further information:

Prof. Stefan Schmalholz - stefan.s...@unil.ch

Prof. Grégoire Mariéthoz - gregoire....@unil.ch

Please, send your full application in PDF with all these documents using the application link provided above:

- Motivation letter

- Curriculum Vitae

- If possible, link to a code sample and any other relevant output

- Copy of university degree certificates and transcripts of marks awarded

- Contact information for three professional references