ICML 2021 Workshop on Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning: Call for submissions and mentorship program

kasia.b....@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2021, 9:34:05 AM4/26/21
to Climate Informatics News
Dear all,

Climate Change AI is excited to announce a call for submissions for our upcoming workshop on "Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning" at the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) 2021. This workshop (to be held virtually July 23rd or 24th) will showcase impactful work at the intersection of machine learning and climate change. Submissions are due May 31st.

A key aim of this workshop is to build bridges between different communities and sectors, and highlight effective pathways from research and ideas to real-world deployment.

We welcome participation from researchers and practitioners in machine learning and in climate-relevant fields such as energy, transportation, climate science, disaster response, and climate policy, as well as entrepreneurs and leaders in the public and private sectors.

We strongly encourage authors to consider applying for our mentorship program (applications due April 28th, both for mentees and mentors), which will pair authors with mentors having complementary expertise.

We will also hold an informational webinar on Tuesday, April 27th (at 9:00 AM Eastern Time / 2:00 PM London time / 9:00 PM Beijing Time) for advice on how to prepare a successful submission, and an opportunity to ask questions regarding the mentorship program.

Best wishes,

Kasia

on behalf of the organizing team:

Hari Prasanna Das (UC Berkeley); Katarzyna (Kasia) Tokarska (ETH Zurich); Maria João Sousa (IST, ULisboa); Meareg Hailemariam (DAUST); David Rolnick (Mila, McGill); Xiaoxiang Zhu (TU Munich); Yoshua Bengio (Mila, UdeM)

Tokarska, Kasia

Jul 19, 2021, 5:17:10 PM7/19/21
to Climate Informatics News
Dear all,

We would be grateful if you could share the following information about this upcoming workshop with your networks.

The workshop "Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning" at the International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML) 2021 will be held virtually on Friday, July 23rd, from 8:00-19:00 ET / 12:00-23:00 UTC.

Highlights include:
• Keynote talks from: Kate Marvel (NASA), Shakir Mohamed (DeepMind), Solomon Assefa (IBM Research Africa), and Draguna Vrabie (PNNL)
• 89 research posters from a wide array of fields at the intersection of climate change and ML, 13 of which are highlighted for spotlight talks.
• Two expert panel discussions:
(i) Designing projects and finding collaborators in climate change and ML
(ii) Monitoring and mitigation of emissions in line with Paris Agreement targets
• Interactive poster sessions (via Gather.town) for discussions and networking with authors, speakers, organizers, and other participants.

While the entire workshop will be live-streamed for free, we hope you will register to get the full benefits of the workshop (including the ability to attend poster sessions and ask questions during the live Q&A). General registration is USD 100, dropping to USD 25 for students. (This registration also grants full access to the rest of ICML 2021, which is one of the world’s largest machine learning research conferences.)

Climate Change AI can offer a limited number of registration grants to those who may require financial assistance to cover the cost of the ICML 2021 registration fee. Please apply here if you are interested: https://forms.gle/xxcg5nzvYqkZ7TGK6

For more information, a full event schedule, and info about the free live-stream, please visit the workshop page at: https://www.climatechange.ai/events/icml2021

Feel free to reach out to us for more information or with any questions.

We hope to see you virtually on July 23rd!

Best wishes,

Kasia

-on behalf of the organisers: