Postdoctoral Associate at NYU in Ocean and Climate Modeling

Johanna Goldman

Nov 9, 2022, 12:31:49 PM11/9/22
to climate-info...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

We seek to fill a postdoctoral position at NYU Courant and CDS, as part of M²LInES (Multiscale Machine Learning In Coupled Earth System Modeling). This is an international effort to further our understanding of the climate system and improve climate models with scientific machine learning by reducing biases at the air-sea interface. M²LInES includes climate scientists, numerical modelers, and machine learning experts at NYU, Princeton, Columbia, MIT, Lamont, GFDL, NCAR, IPSL, IGE.

The postdoctoral associate will focus on improving our understanding of ocean processes which influence global climate, in particular patterns of sea surface temperatures and heat uptake. The project will focus on using methods such as equation discovery to learn new physics and develop subgrid parameterizations of ocean processes (e.g., Zanna & Bolton, 2020; or Ross et al., 2022) to ensure interpretability, and easy implementation in global models. The postdoctoral researcher will work under the supervision of Prof Laure Zanna and is expected to collaborate with other members of M²LInES.

Further information about equation-discovery for physics is discussed in a recent Quanta article, details about machine learning for multiscale ocean processes are outlined in a SIAM news article, and a description of M²LInES’ goals and members can be found on our website.

The position, available immediately, is a full-time appointment, initially for one year, with the possibility of renewal for up to three years, subject to satisfactory performance and available funding.

Applications should be uploaded at: http://apply.interfolio.com/117150
For further information, contact us at m2l...@nyu.edu

I would be grateful if you could share this email with any qualified candidates.

Best regards,

Johanna Goldman on behalf of Laure Zanna