Estate filing question

smstich

Jul 12, 2024, 2:45:37 PM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to ClientWhysConnect
My client's father passed away last fall without a will or trust. His estate was probated and his former residence has now been sold. FMV at DOD was $279,000 and sold for $300,000.
He had no other assets. Does an estate tax return need to be filed? What other questions do I need to ask my client.
Thank you in advance,
Sylvia

Lee Reams

Jul 12, 2024, 7:36:31 PM (9 days ago) Jul 12
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Sylvia,

I think you are referring to a 1041 not a 706, which depends upon whether property was transferred to the beneficiary before it was sold or whether it was sold prior to the transfer.

Lee

On Jul 12, 2024, at 11:45 AM, smstich <sms...@hotmail.com> wrote:

My client's father passed away last fall without a will or trust. His estate was probated and his former residence has now been sold. FMV at DOD was $279,000 and sold for $300,000.
He had no other assets. Does an estate tax return need to be filed? What other questions do I need to ask my client.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

smstich

Jul 13, 2024, 6:42:02 PM (9 days ago) Jul 13
to ClientWhysConnect
Lee, thank you for your quick response.
The home was sold during probate. My client was appointed as administrator of the probate estate.
There are no other assets.

Lee Reams

Jul 13, 2024, 10:18:59 PM (8 days ago) Jul 13
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Sylvia,

I bet your clients SSN is on the 1099-S, which answers your delima.

Lee

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/fc33781d-d16f-4106-9e05-5515ee3caf5fn%40googlegroups.com.