Multiple Years

cathy arbogast

Jul 11, 2024, 8:10:44 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
  I have a couple of clients that I am preparing multiple prior years (like 10).   Wondering how to file them with the IRS and State.  I was going to bundle them all up and mail them to the paper filing address but I was on the TP hotline today and they said no better to send them separately as they will process faster.
  Also I will e-file the years that can be efiled.  With one client time isn't critical but the other we need to set up a payment plan and I am sure they will want all filings up to date.  Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,
Cathy

--
Catherine Arbogast
Enrolled Agent

This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to client privilege or other confidentiality protections. Any accounting, business or tax advice contained in the communication, including attachments are not intended as a thorough, in-depth analysis of specific issues, nor a substitute for a formal opinion, nor is it sufficient to avoid tax-related penalties. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.

Lee Reams

Jul 11, 2024, 8:18:19 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I have alway understood it is NOT good practice to send multiple returns in one mailing. That can be asking for trouble at the processing center.  I can almost hear the the IRS response to your client’s need for speed when he took 10 years to file….LOL

Lee

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CANyPGGsYpZLCfdBYycP_ggd9WAzrvuMQ1kG8mvWHDjQq3qh8BA%40mail.gmail.com.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Diana Skocypec

Jul 11, 2024, 8:37:19 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
My understanding from NAEA Fellow classes is  you may only need to file 6 years.
 When I have caught clients up I do mail returns together but each in a separate envelope with year clearly marked and a letter requesting to process in chronological order. Who knows if anyone at the service currently will honor this request.
And then there's the state.

RICHARD WILLIAMSEN

Jul 11, 2024, 8:41:22 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I built my practice dealing with ‘non-filers’ or delinquent fillers.
I would prepare all returns put them in separate envelopes - addressed - each marked also with the year and form - AND then put them in ONE envelope and mailed them.  In twenty five years never had a problem using this process.

The process was recommended at NTPC classes I attended.

Have fun!
Richard
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 11, 2024, at 5:18 PM, Lee Reams <lee....@clientwhys.com> wrote:

[...]

cathy arbogast

Jul 11, 2024, 8:49:09 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
🤣 Yes, that is what he said.  My clients are trained and these are new (friends of friends) probably should not have accepted the headache...live and learn.  Thank you Lee.

cathy arbogast

Jul 11, 2024, 8:53:50 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Richard, I like that idea, tell me do you e-file the ones that are open years? and if not do you just explain on the 8948 that you mailed multiple years?

cathy arbogast

Jul 11, 2024, 8:56:55 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Diana.  The clients have had recent garnishments (one from a recent real estate sale) and it is a mess so I am filing all the unfiled and let the chips fall where they fall.  The clients have passed and I am working with the children.

Sylvia Stich

Jul 12, 2024, 12:18:03 PM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I'm a former IRS Collection manager. We always advised taxpayers to send them in separate envelopes.

Sylvia

http://www.naea.org/taxpayers/what-enrolled-agent

Sylvia M. Stich, EA

39569 Sagewood Ridge

Temecula, CA  92591

Cell: (916) 316-0137

Fax: (866) 848-1168

This communication and any accompanying documents are confidential and privileged.  They are intended for the sole use of the addressee. If you receive this transmission in error, you are advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance upon this communication is strictly prohibited.  Moreover, any such disclosure shall not compromise or waive the attorney-client, accountant-client, or other privileges as to this communication or otherwise.  If you have received this communication in error, please contact me at the above e-mail address.  Thank you.

Jul 12, 2024, 6:11:29 PM (10 days ago) Jul 12
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com