COMPUTER FRAUD

Crawford, Dave

Mar 23, 2023, 6:51:39 PM3/23/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Here's one I've heard about, but never been asked before. My dad is 90 years old, suffering cognitive decline, and I am now helping him manage his affairs, including helping him do his taxes. He lives in California. In early 2022 he was the victim of fraud, with someone taking control of his computer, selling his stocks on E*Trade ($140,000), and then accessing his bank account and wiring the funds out of his bank to Thailand (the $140k from E_Trade and another $47k from his bank). We submitted an online fraud report to the FBI and never heard anything back from them. We also filed a claim with E*Trade, who has a “Complete Protection Guarantee” against unauthorized use, but they denied his claim. So now it is tax season and his 1099 from E*Trade is showing a large amount of capital gains, which will push him into an even higher tax bracket. He never realized the proceeds of the stocks stolen from him at E*Trade, and now he is faced with a huge tax bill on those proceeds (and we are worried if he will have enough money to see him through to the end of his life). So is there ANYTHING at all we can do in this situation to limit his tax liability in the case of this fraud?

I sure would appreciate any advice you would be able to give.

Thanks,

Dave

Diana Skocypec

Mar 23, 2023, 7:08:36 PM3/23/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
This is identity theft; I would use the procedures on the IRS website to start the process.
I've only had this occur with W2 income and took more than a few months to handle.
I would definitely request a PIN for your dad.

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CAK1hJ%3Dg_W6w4s-VPRRAXiaNeZGyuMcEZZzZ9owKVNEMUakDjrQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Diana L. Skocypec
A Tax Lady for All Seasons

Mobile by Request

 5999 B Ridge View Street
Camarillo Springs, CA 93012

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and return the original message to us without reading or copying it.  Any transmission to or reception of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is an inadvertent disclosure and does not waive any applicable privilege.  Thank you.

Lee Reams

Mar 23, 2023, 7:29:03 PM3/23/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I think you were asking how to mitigate the gains from stolen investment property…This is from the BB:

LOSSES FROM INVESTMENT PROPERTY
Income-producing property, also referred to as investment property, is property held for investment, such as stocks, notes, bonds, gold, silver, vacant lots, and works of art. Losses from casualties to and theft of income-producing property are reported in Section B on page 2 of Form 4684, then deducted as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A, line 16 (not subject to the 2% of AGI limitation). These losses are not subject to the $100-per-event or 10%-of-AGI limits.

That should help reduce the taxable income.

Lee

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Crawford, Dave

Mar 27, 2023, 4:29:22 PM3/27/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Lee and Diana.  I really appreciate your input.

Grace, health and peace,

Dave