need some input -potentail new client -

Anne Sadler

Jul 9, 2024, 5:26:49 PM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to ClientWhysConnect
Hello everyone,

I have 2 things:

1) Business owner open business in 2019, filed every year without income but expenses.. I have never seen a schedule C filed for so many years without any income only $ 12k in expenses.
 I am not comfortable filing the 2023 with no income , am I missing something here?

2) business is an SMLLC but no 568 filed ? Did that change? I was under the understanding that all LLC have to file the 568 with their 540.

Looking forward to getting some input.

Thank you
Best regards,

Anne Sadler
Enrolled Agent # 78867
Sadler Taxes, Inc
707-486-1715 cell phone
To send documents:

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

Matthew Bigelow

Jul 9, 2024, 5:42:06 PM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

My feedback is below in blue.

Matthew Bigelow, E.A.

JLZ Business Services, Inc.

Ph. (805) 643-3295, Fax: (805) 643-3297

email: mbig...@jlzinc.com

Web: www.jlzinc.com

Office Hours: M – TH 9 AM – 5 PM, F 9 AM – 2 PM

Click here to upload files.

The information contained herein is confidential and may be privileged and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

Jul 9, 2024, 5:42:41 PM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I respectfully suggest letting this potential client be someone else's problem. Client will probably not like that should have been filing LLC returns or any other issues you will be advising about.

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/932583931.2432210.1720560403545%40mail.yahoo.com.

--
Diana L. Skocypec
A Tax Lady for All Seasons

Mobile by Request

 5999 B Ridge View Street
Camarillo Springs, CA 93012

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and return the original message to us without reading or copying it.  Any transmission to or reception of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is an inadvertent disclosure and does not waive any applicable privilege.  Thank you.

Lee Reams

Jul 9, 2024, 7:19:00 PM (13 days ago) Jul 9
to 'dbests@aol.com' via ClientWhysConnect

Anne,

It's understandable to be concerned about filing a Schedule C with no income for multiple years. Here are a few points to consider:

Hobby vs. Business: The IRS distinguishes between a business and a hobby. A business is an activity carried out with the intention of making a profit, whereas a hobby is not. If the activity is not generating income and there is no clear path to profitability, the IRS might classify it as a hobby. Expenses related to a hobby are not deductible in the same way as business expenses.

Profit Motive: The IRS expects a business to show a profit in at least three out of five consecutive years. If the business does not meet this criterion, it may be subject to additional scrutiny to determine if it is indeed a business or a hobby.

IRS Determination Factors: Failing to meet the "three out of five years" rule does not automatically classify an activity as a hobby.  The IRS uses a set of nine factors to determine whether an activity is engaged in for profit or is a hobby. While the "three out of five years" rule (or "two out of seven years" for horse-related activities) provides a presumption of profit motive, failing to meet this presumption does not automatically classify the activity as a hobby. The IRS will consider the following factors:

1.    Manner In Which the Activity Is Conducted: Are accurate records kept? Is there a business plan?

2.    Expertise of the Taxpayer: Does the taxpayer have the necessary knowledge or have they sought advice?

3.    Time and Effort Expended: Is significant time and effort put into the activity?

4.    Is There Potential for Asset Appreciation?

5.    Success in Carrying on Similar Activities: Has the taxpayer been successful in similar activities in the past?

6.    History of Income or Losses: Are losses due to circumstances beyond the taxpayer's control or are they typical startup losses?

7.    Occasional profits, if any: Are there occasional profits?

8.    Financial status of the taxpayer: Does the taxpayer have substantial income from other sources?

9.    Elements of personal pleasure or recreation: Is the activity conducted for personal pleasure or recreation?

If, after considering these factors, the IRS determines that the activity is not engaged in for profit, it will be classified as a hobby.

It would seem your client is digging himself a large hole should the IRS pick up on the no income. No doubt in your case the client would owe taxes on all the prior open years.

A 568 is required for each year the activity exists as an SMLLC. You indicated a 568 has never been filed.  Thus, I assume the client is also behind on the LLC fees.

Lee

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Anne Sadler

Anne Sadler

Jul 9, 2024, 8:39:29 PM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Diana,

 I am going to sleep on it and most likely have an unpleasant conversation with the person.

Thank you for your input.

Best regards,

Anne Sadler
Enrolled Agent # 78867
Sadler Taxes, Inc
707-486-1715 cell phone
To send documents:

The content of this email is confidential and intended for the recipient specified in message only. It is strictly forbidden to share any part of this message with any third party, without a written consent of the sender. If you received this message by mistake, please reply to this message and follow with its deletion, so that we can ensure such a mistake does not occur in the future.

Anne Sadler

Jul 9, 2024, 8:42:04 PM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

 Thank you for all the information. I am glad that I held back with this client. It is always a good idea to look at the prior years and then see if I want to work with them, that has been my policy for year.. This one is just full of misteries and not the good ones.

-Anne