Sale of Publicly Traded Partnership

Diana Skocypec

Mar 30, 2023, 1:13:14 AM3/30/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
If the partnership never had any California income, should client be taxed on the depreciation recapture in California? Reporting the capital gain/loss from the sale of the partnership interest makes sense to report on the California return, but reporting recaptured depreciation as ordinary income for a state that never had any income from the partnership doesn't seem right. I am hoping the answer is to adjust the partnership basis for California purposes.

--
Diana L. Skocypec
A Tax Lady for All Seasons

Mobile by Request

 5999 B Ridge View Street
Camarillo Springs, CA 93012

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and return the original message to us without reading or copying it.  Any transmission to or reception of this communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is an inadvertent disclosure and does not waive any applicable privilege.  Thank you.

Lee Reams

Mar 30, 2023, 10:25:34 AM3/30/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
If owned by a CA resident it would seem to me it would be subject to CA income tax.

Lee

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CADdLzzJW-S3SpTap%2BSPBAi%3DTDF9Vxg0Hz-xWfg1CarCGr09%2BdQ%40mail.gmail.com.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Diana Skocypec

Mar 30, 2023, 6:26:13 PM3/30/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
For the capital gain/loss on sale yes definitely reportable for federal abd state. For the ordinary income resulting from recaptured depreciation/depletion Federal has offsetting previous disallowed passive losses. However there was never any passive loss carryover for California. My program is adding the federal passive loss as ordinary income to CA because there was no CA passive loss.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams

Mar 31, 2023, 1:42:27 AM3/31/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
So why isn’t there any passive carryover for CA since CA conforms to Federal pasive rules?

Lee