Estimated Payments - Yes or No

Gregg Lawless

Jul 7, 2024, 7:52:20 PMJul 7
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Client has had no tax liability to IRS or CA for the past few years. However they are selling a rental in 2024 and will owe approx. $120,000 to the IRS and $50,000 to  CA. Based on the requirements for estimates I do not believe any estimate is REQUIRED. However, I’m thinking it might be wise to make a nominal estimate after the close of escrow. THOUGHTS??

THANKS for your thoughts.

Gregg Lawless

Lee Reams

Jul 8, 2024, 11:30:16 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to 'dbests@aol.com' via ClientWhysConnect
Gregg,

You are correct, no estimates are required. If your client had no tax liability in the prior year and was a U.S. citizen or resident for the entire year, they are not required to make estimated tax payments. The same rule applies to CA if they were a CA resident the entire prior year.  Other considerations might be whether the prior year return might be prone to audit and the tax not being zero, and how responsible is the client to setting aside the tax liability and spend or obligate it before the time comes to pay the taxes.

On Jul 7, 2024, at 4:52 PM, Gregg Lawless <glaw...@outlook.com> wrote:

Client has had no tax liability to IRS or CA for the past few years. However they are selling a rental in 2024 and will owe approx. $120,000 to the IRS and $50,000 to  CA. Based on the requirements for estimates I do not believe any estimate is REQUIRED. However, I’m thinking it might be wise to make a nominal estimate after the close of escrow. THOUGHTS??

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Matthew Bigelow

Jul 8, 2024, 11:38:16 AM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

I once made a costly mistake when a client’s sale of their business pushed them into a “High Income” category for CA estimated tax payment requirements. I’d based the client’s estimates on the prior year, not realizing there were some exceptions to this rule. Essentially, if the current year’s CA adjusted gross income exceeds certain limits, they must make estimated payments based on the current year income and not prior year. See the following link about 2/3rds of the way down the page: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/pay/estimated-tax-payments.html

Matthew Bigelow, E.A.

JLZ Business Services, Inc.

Ph. (805) 643-3295, Fax: (805) 643-3297

email: mbig...@jlzinc.com

Web: www.jlzinc.com

Office Hours: M – TH 9 AM – 5 PM, F 9 AM – 2 PM

Click here to upload files.

The information contained herein is confidential and may be privileged and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/4A902E5D-7451-46E0-BB8C-F6E45D88FBD7%40clientwhys.com.

scott jessup

Jul 8, 2024, 2:20:44 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Matthew, This office made a similar mistake in 2021. If AGI is greater than $1mm (married)/ $500k (single), the TP has to use the tax tables.
Scott

Sent from my iPhone

[...]

<image001.png>

Gregg Lawless

Jul 8, 2024, 2:56:39 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Lee and Matthew, THANKS for the confirmations. Matthew THANKS for the item on CA. I was not aware of that high income item. That could have cost me a fortune. Fortunately my client will not exceed the $1,000,000 mark. He anticipates having a taxable profit of over $500,000 on the sale of his rental and his other income has not been significant the past few years. I will be discussing that he NEEDS to set aside the funds from the sale. It’s just that I don’t want him to make big payments when he can earn a good return on the amount he owes for the next 6-9 months if he merely places the funds in a high interest bearing account.

THANKA again.

Gregg Lawless

Roger Mies

Jul 8, 2024, 3:25:34 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
If paying a portion of the state taxes this year allows him to save tax dollars on his federal return, he may wish to do a state estimate before 12/31.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 8, 2024, at 11:56 AM, Gregg Lawless <glaw...@outlook.com> wrote:

Lee and Matthew, THANKS for the confirmations. Matthew THANKS for the item on CA. I was not aware of that high income item. That could have cost me a fortune. Fortunately my client will not exceed the $1,000,000 mark. He anticipates having a taxable profit of over $500,000 on the sale of his rental and his other income has not been significant the past few years. I will be discussing that he NEEDS to set aside the funds from the sale. It’s just that I don’t want him to make big payments when he can earn a good return on the amount he owes for the next 6-9 months if he merely places the funds in a high interest bearing account.

THANKA again.

Gregg Lawless

Gregg Lawless

Jul 8, 2024, 3:38:55 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Good point Roger. Unfortunately the $10,000 limit on state & local taxes plays havoc with itemizing for federal anymore. His real estate taxes exceed the $10,000 now so really no benefit there for at least 2024 and 2025. Hopefully that will change after 2025.  THANKS for checking on that.

Matthew Bigelow

Jul 8, 2024, 4:06:16 PM (14 days ago) Jul 8
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Hadn’t thought of Roger’s suggestion, but that’s a very good point for anyone who can take advantage of the tax payment for a deduction on the federal return.

As far as investing the funds, I like to steer my clients fortunate enough to have some short-term investable money into T-bills. Unlike a savings account, the interest is non-taxable to CA, plus the rate is generally a little higher. If necessary, they can sell the funds early and forgo some of the interest in the case that they need the money right away, but they can also ladder their purchases by buying, say, one 4-week bill, one 8-week, one 17-week, one 26-week, or something along those lines. That way, they have a fairly steady stream of cash and probably don’t need to sell early. Just my 2 cents on how they can hopefully maximize the windfall before the tax bill comes due.