Property tax refund

Evonne Winegarner

May 15, 2024, 2:22:37 PMMay 15
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

Client paid excess property taxes in 2022, claiming them on their schedule A.  In 2023 they received a refund.

There was a very slight impact from these taxes on their federal Schedule A due to the SALT.  They impact CA in full.

How do I report this income?  Is it a reduction of 2023 Schedule A (return was extended) or does it go as Misc Income to Schedule 1?

Thank you.

Evonne Winegarner

On behalf of

Eric P. Martin, CFP, EA and Ryan Duncan Anderson CFP, EA

Martin, Wardin & Eissner Financial Group

480 Saint John Street, Suite 120

Pleasanton, CA  94566-6597

Tel: 925-484-1053

Fax: 925-484-4773

PHILIP P STORRER

May 15, 2024, 5:31:53 PMMay 15
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Evonne a refund of a previously deducted item is taxable in 2023 to the extent that the TP had received a tax benefit from the deduction claimed in 2022…
I understood you to say you that the benefit was “slight”.. So that “slight” amount, properly calculated is reported as miscellaneous income in 2023…

Hope this helps

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On May 15, 2024, at 11:22 AM, Evonne Winegarner <ewine...@mwefinancial.com> wrote:

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/LV3PR16MB610076C21A2ECB57E04F4657DEEC2%40LV3PR16MB6100.namprd16.prod.outlook.com.