Depreciation, Commercial Solar Panel Energy credit

Merlie Lomboy

Apr 22, 2020, 3:24:41 PM4/22/20
to ClientWhysConnect
Hi everyone: I have 2 questions that I need help with. I did my research but I need clarifications and if I am doing it correctly.

New client, a Schedule C operates a residential care home for the elderly.  Started the business in 2013.
  1. Previous preparer used 31.5 asset life for the care home, is that correct?  I was thinking 39 yr life . If I am correct, can I change it or just follow what has been started?
  1. Installed Commercial solar panel system in the care home worth over $44,000 in 2019, and solar company told her to claim investment credit on Form 3468. I am not familiar with this form. I reviewed the form and I can see line 12b Part III might apply. Then I will depreciate the remaining cost after the credit. Please let me know if I am correct.
Thank you very much.

Merlie D. Lomboy, EA

This message is confidential. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error, and that any review, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message of the taking of any action in
reliance on its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy
the documents. Thank you.

Lee Reams

Apr 22, 2020, 4:23:50 PM4/22/20
to 'Jacqulyn Deniston EA Professional Tax Service' via ClientWhysConnect
--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CY4PR16MB1832553E269740C4C0729190C0D20%40CY4PR16MB1832.namprd16.prod.outlook.com.

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Lee Reams

Apr 22, 2020, 4:35:57 PM4/22/20
to 'Jacqulyn Deniston EA Professional Tax Service' via ClientWhysConnect
Non-residential real estate property is 39 year life (31.5 was before 5/12/93) so the preparer is way behind the times. I think you have to change it 39 year life.
Yes, the solar qualifies for business energy credit (investment credit) See chapter 9.11 in the BB.

On Apr 22, 2020, at 12:23 PM, Merlie Lomboy <rmlo...@msn.com> wrote:

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CY4PR16MB1832553E269740C4C0729190C0D20%40CY4PR16MB1832.namprd16.prod.outlook.com.

Merlie Lomboy

Apr 22, 2020, 4:45:23 PM4/22/20
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the prompt reply Lee!
Take care and God bless you!
Stay safe everyone!

Merlie D. Lomboy, EA

This message is confidential. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error, and that any review, disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message of the taking of any action in
reliance on its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy
the documents. Thank you.

Sounds right. Does not fir the 3 0r 7 year category

5 Year Property – Examples: computers, typewriters, copiers, duplicating equipment, heavy trucks, trailers, cargo containers, autos, motorcycles, light-duty trucks, certain technological and research equipment.

Merlie Lomboy

Sent: Monday, April 27, 2020 1:59 PM
To: 'alan steger' via ClientWhysConnect <clientwh...@googlegroups.com>