From Jan Telesky

Jan Telesky

Jul 9, 2024, 7:29:54 PM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
A client has some retirement plans with Schwab and just received 4 separate 990T returns that indicate he needs to pay around 50K in taxes.  These are legit retirement plans.  Why would he get the 990T's and owe tax?  I can't find a reason anywhere I have looked.  Anybody have an answer?
Thank you

--
Jan Telesky
Telesky Financial Services

Lee Reams

Jul 9, 2024, 8:24:36 PM (12 days ago) Jul 9
to 'dbests@aol.com' via ClientWhysConnect
Jan,

Sounds like he has unrelated business income from his plans which is subject tax even if the UBI is within a retirement plan.  And the 990-T is the form that UBI is reported on.  The following is from the BB:

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 5.22.45 PM.png

On Jul 9, 2024, at 4:29 PM, Jan Telesky <jdt...@gmail.com> wrote:

A client has some retirement plans with Schwab and just received 4 separate 990T returns that indicate he needs to pay around 50K in taxes.  These are legit retirement plans.  Why would he get the 990T's and owe tax?  I can't find a reason anywhere I have looked.  Anybody have an answer?
Thank you

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.