Wyoming LLC whereby the owners both live in CA

Elizabeth Ferreira

Apr 22, 2024, 9:09:01 PMApr 22
to 'DENNIS MAHANEY' via ClientWhysConnect
I have a married  couple who are both members of their LLC organized in WY - they do internet marketing, they have an agent who gets their mail and sends to them in CA where they both live and they do the work from CA for their LLC

They are insistent that they do NOT have to file a CA return or pay the $800 - I am telling them they do because they create nexxus by living in CA, managing the bus from here and working from here-  this is a side business for both of them

I think I am second guessing myself here- can you confirm that they DO have to file a CA return.  Thank you

--
Best Regards,

Elizabeth P. Ferreira,  BS, EA
Bus Administration & Accounting
Enrolled to practice before Internal Revenue Service

GTS and Associates, Inc.
"turning tax questions into informed options"

dba:  Gouveia Tax Service
852 East 14th Street
San Leandro, CA 94577
Tel 510-635-6500         Fax 510-635-6535

IRS Circular 230 Tax Advice Disclaimer: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I inform you that any Federal tax advice contained in this communication (including attachments or enclosures) is not intended or written to be used, and can not be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any penalty that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Confidentiality Notice: This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged information. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this communication by mistake, please contact the sender immediately and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

Lee Reams

Apr 23, 2024, 11:27:40 AMApr 23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Elizabeth,

You are correct.  They do need to register and file.  See below which are excerpts from FTB Pub 568 (link below)

Lee

Page 5 - Penalty for Non-Registered, Suspended, or Forfeited LLC – The FTB will assess a $2,000 penalty against a non-qualified foreign LLC that is doing business within the state while not registered to do business within the state, or while suspended or forfeited.

Page 7 - California law requires LLCs not organized in the state of California to register with the California SOS before entering into any intrastate business in California. The laws of the state or foreign country in which the LLC is organized generally govern the internal affairs of the LLC. The California SOS may not deny recognition of an LLC because the laws of the organization’s home state or foreign country differ from California’s laws, except in the case of professional service LLCs, which are not allowed to register as LLCs in California.

Page 7 - Who Must File An LLC may be classified for tax purposes as a partnership, a corporation, or a disregarded entity. The LLC should file the appropriate California return. Form 568 must be filed by every LLC that is not taxable as a corporation if any of the following apply:

• The LLC is doing business in California.

• The LLC is organized in California.

The LLC is organized in another state or foreign country, but registered with the California SOS.

• The LLC has income from California sources (Nonregistered foreign LLCs, see Exceptions to Filing Form 568, below). An LLC is not required to file a tax return and is not subject to the annual tax and LLC fee if both the following are true:

• The LLC’s taxable year is 15 days or less.

• The LLC did not conduct business in the state during the 15 day period.

Registration: LLCs that are formed in California, are required to file articles of organization with the California SOS before doing business in this state.

LLCs organized under the laws of another state or foreign country are required to register with the California SOS before entering into intrastate business in California.

Nonregistered foreign (i.e., not organized in California) LLCs that are members of an LLC doing business in California or general partners in a limited partnership doing business in California are considered doing business in California. Regardless of where the trade or business of the LLC is primarily conducted, an LLC is considered to be doing business in California if any of its members, managers, or other agents are conducting business in California on behalf of the LLC.

FTB PUB 568 – Limited Liability Co. Tax Booklet

https://tbz-prd.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/20896/ai-file-352.pdf

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CAMaSmXmS%2BAX2A8AyMG%2B43dCVytN6ut_WPxR%3D6NGqkc8kSJMtVQ%40mail.gmail.com.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Elizabeth Ferreira

Apr 24, 2024, 2:34:08 PMApr 24
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

jo...@rstaxplus.com

Apr 30, 2024, 9:19:54 PMApr 30
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Hello there,

So, I have a C-Corp client, registered in Delaware. When I enter the owner as a resident of CA, obviously the program wants to file a CA return. It appears I can e-file without a CA Corp #, if I select ‘Other” for the reason for not having a CA Corp ID.  What recommendation do I give to my client about ‘doing business in the state’?  He is 100% an online software and video game developer. As of now he is the only owner, but has shares to sell to investors.

I usually recommend an S-Corp and always filing in CA if you live in CA/do business in CA.

Is it ok to file a return without a CA Corp ID and still pay tax to CA on the earnings?

Is there other filing needed to be done with CA (if he decides to keep the DE Corp registration)?

Jodi

[...]

image001.png

Lee Reams

Apr 30, 2024, 11:21:37 PMApr 30
to 'Ray Kong' via ClientWhysConnect
A C-corporation registered in Delaware but conducting business in California is generally required to register with the California Secretary of State and obtain a California corporate number. This number is necessary for various administrative functions, including tax filings, and is used to identify the corporation for state tax purposes.

When it comes to filing a California corporate tax return, the California corporate number is an essential piece of information that must be included on the return. The California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) uses this number to track tax filings and payments for the corporation. If a corporation is doing business in California and has not yet obtained a California corporate number, it should take steps to register with the California Secretary of State and obtain one before filing its tax return.

If a corporation attempts to file a California corporate tax return without a California corporate number, it may encounter processing delays, and the return may not be considered properly filed, which could lead to penalties and interest charges for late or incorrect filing.
It's important for any corporation doing business in California, regardless of where it is incorporated, to comply with California's registration and tax filing requirements to avoid potential compliance issues.

Lee

image001.png

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/65F98679-8A14-4CC8-836B-44D92CF3C0C9%40clientwhys.com.