rental depreciation not done correctly

Lori B

May 11, 2024, 9:33:08 PMMay 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
I have a new client.  The previous preparer did not depreciate anything that was done to the rental.   It looks like repairs and changes to the property were written off the year things were done not depreciated.

Has anyone dealt with this?

Do I just go back the last few years and amend the returns?

thank you!!
Lori

Lee Reams

May 11, 2024, 11:22:41 PMMay 11
to 'professional.tax.service@verizon.net' via ClientWhysConnect
Lori,

It may be Ok as is. The cap and repair regs allow some pretty large write offs. See screen capture from the Big Book below. Fo more detail, the cap and repair regs are covered in chapter 3.27 of the BB.  Specifically page 3.27.12 for the “per-building safe harbor.”

Lee

Screenshot 2024-05-11 at 8.16.25 PM.png

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CAC3X9R0XJf%3DFtpWxCg34sU%2BbGW_AZtmhTkAtxeNq9NHMsx_xYg%40mail.gmail.com.

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.