1031 Question

Tom Cox

Jul 11, 2024, 4:46:20 PM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
My client has a commercial building that his daughter uses for her business. My client charges no rent and does not report the property on his tax returns. He wants to do a 1031 exchange for a large commercial property.

May I assume he is holding the current building as an investment  so it meets the 1031 rules?

The information contained herein is confidential and may be privileged and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

PHILIP P STORRER

Jul 11, 2024, 4:50:24 PM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
No, Tom… your client does not qualify.

Sent from my iPhone

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/CAMSA-R8Khd%3D-1CpG7KhXDBt7rY6N%3Dhca6synCHyyVRKBgFineQ%40mail.gmail.com.

PHILIP P STORRER

Jul 11, 2024, 5:06:16 PM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
Tom, section 1031(a) applies to trade or business or investment real estate to be traded for trade or business real property…

Phil

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 11, 2024, at 1:50 PM, PHILIP P STORRER <psto...@comcast.net> wrote:

No, Tom… your client does not qualify.

Lee Reams

Jul 11, 2024, 5:09:11 PM (11 days ago) Jul 11
to 'dbests@aol.com' via ClientWhysConnect

Tom,

In order to qualify for a Section 1031 exchange, the property being relinquished must be held for productive use in a trade or business or for investment. Since your client is not charging rent and is not reporting the property on his tax returns, it may be challenging to demonstrate that the property is held for investment purposes.

The IRS typically looks for evidence that the property is being used to generate income or is otherwise held for investment. In this case, since the property is being used by the client's daughter without rent and is not reported on tax returns, it may not meet the criteria for being held for investment.

To strengthen the case for a 1031 exchange, your client might consider starting to charge fair market rent and properly reporting the rental income on his tax returns. This would help demonstrate that the property is being held for investment purposes.

Lee

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Richard Job

Jul 11, 2024, 8:49:51 PM (10 days ago) Jul 11
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Also, the use of the property would be considered personal since it is not rented at FMV, and personal use property is not eligible for 1031. If it was not being used you might be able to argue it was being held for investment.

Richard C. Job CPA

Office Location

16872 Bolsa Chica St #200

Huntington Beach, CA 92649