Inherited House

1 view

Stephen Seger

Mar 27, 2023, 1:51:01 PM3/27/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

I’m wondering what other do for an estate return being filed with a sale of a home. If the client sells within 6 months of the death we take the cost basis as what they sold it for with zero loss and zero gain.

I’m getting push back from a client that we should be reporting a loss for closing costs paid to the realtor as a long term capital loss that will flow through to the beneficiaries. What do you all do?

Stephen Seger

President

Seger Tax & Accounting LLC

(616) 326-1144

sse...@segertax.com

www.segertax.com

5300 Northland Dr NE, Suite A, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

facebook

linkedin

This electronic mail message contains confidential and legally privileged information intended only for the use of the recipient. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited and is hereby instructed to notify the sender immediately by return email and destroy this copy of this message.

Matthew Bigelow

Mar 27, 2023, 1:57:32 PM3/27/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

I think it’d be the very rare case that results in zero gain and zero loss. Market changes and expense of sale will almost certainly result in one or the other. Unless the client used the home for personal purposes and/or sold it to a related party or in a non-arm’s length transaction, a gain or loss that passes on to the beneficiaries is a virtual certainty.

Matthew Bigelow, E.A.

JLZ Business Services, Inc.

Ph. (805) 643-3295, Fax: (805) 643-3297

email: mbig...@jlzinc.com

Web: www.jlzinc.com

Office Hours: M – TH 9 AM – 5 PM, F 9 AM – 2 PM

Click here to upload files.

The information contained herein is confidential and may be privileged and is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately.

--
You are subscribed to the ClientWhysConnect group.
Post Address: clientwh...@googlegroups.com

Disclaimer --- You use the information shared on ClientWhysConnect.com at your own risk. The information is based upon unsubstantiated member opinions and if you have concerns about the validity of the information you should research the issue thoroughly yourself and arrive at your own conclusions. We will never share any of the information you’ve provided to the ClientWhysConnect.com list with anyone.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ClientWhysConnect" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clientwhysconnect/BN0PR07MB882979D7AC766B3A88DA17FCAB8B9%40BN0PR07MB8829.namprd07.prod.outlook.com.

Garry Nichols

Mar 27, 2023, 1:57:51 PM3/27/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com

My opinion: I think your client is correct.  That is what I would do if he were my client.

Garry Nichols

[...]

Important Disclosure Information:

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential or subject to copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

Lee Reams

Mar 27, 2023, 1:58:31 PM3/27/23
to clientwh...@googlegroups.com
From the BB page 2.08.05 - Home sale chapter….Lee

Beneficiary  Loss - Loss on the sale of inherited property which was the residence of the decedent can be deductible if the beneficiary immediately attempts to rent or sell the property. (Campbell, N. Stuart, (1945) 5 TC 272; Carnrick, George, (1947) 9 TC 756, acq.)  If the beneficiary was living in the house at the decedent's death, a loss will be allowed if he indicates his intention to move and does so as soon as he can locate other quarters.  A reasonable time is allowed to do this. (Crawford, Mary, (1951) 16 TC 678, acq.)

On Mar 27, 2023, at 10:50 AM, Stephen Seger <sse...@segertax.com> wrote:

I’m wondering what other do for an estate return being filed with a sale of a home. If the client sells within 6 months of the death we take the cost basis as what they sold it for with zero loss and zero gain.
I’m getting push back from a client that we should be reporting a loss for closing costs paid to the realtor as a long term capital loss that will flow through to the beneficiaries. What do you all do?

Stephen Seger
President
Seger Tax & Accounting LLC

(616) 326-1144

sse...@segertax.com

www.segertax.com

5300 Northland Dr NE, Suite A, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

<image001.png>
[...]

PastedGraphic-2.tiff

Lee Reams Sr., BSME, EA
Chief Content Officer
CountingWorks Pro | CountingWorks | TaxBuzz | TaxCPE
p:1.800.442.2477 x240
w:www.countingworkspro.com/  e: lee....@countingworks.com

See how CountingWorks can grow your practice.

Stephen Seger