Understanding performance implications of INSERT INTO

Siddharth Jain

Sep 7, 2022, 12:03:41 PM9/7/22
to ClickHouse
w.r.t. this:
First, it says
  • Add data in fairly large batches, such as 100,000 rows at a time.
then it says: Performance will not decrease if:
  • Data is added in real time.
What is the meaning of real time here? To me, real time means given a stream of data (messages in Kafka e.g.), we  insert one row at a time as each message arrives. If that is the case, then the two statements are contradictory. Could anyone explain this to me? thanks.

Siddharth Jain

Sep 7, 2022, 12:05:36 PM9/7/22
to ClickHouse
would the more appropriate statement be

Performance will not decrease if:
  • Data is added in real time with the async_insert setting enabled?

Antonio Rodriguez

Sep 13, 2022, 8:26:54 AM9/13/22
to ClickHouse
CH is built to works with good performance using 1 insert per second in a bulk operation with millions of rows in that insert.
No to insert 1 row per insert.