Python 2 to 3 sprint.

Benjamin W. Smith

Mar 29, 2013, 3:58:10 PM3/29/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to get a conversation going about scheduling a sprint to port a Python 2 libraries to Python 2.

Here is a running list of popular libraries that currently will not work on Python 3.

We don't want to pick anything that's terribly complicated, but we don't want something that we'll just blow through in a couple hours. Maybe we should choose more than one.

Here's a list of libraries/tools I was thinking of:

python-daemon
python-ldap
hiredis
django-nose

and a big maybe:

boto

The goal is to spend a day hacking on this, as a team. We'll take care of food, drink, and also try to include some entertainment for when we need to take a break.

I'm envisioning a grill, some coolers, and some card and/or table top games.

Let's talk.

W. Matthew Wilson

Mar 29, 2013, 5:50:00 PM3/29/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
I just checked that list and I saw supervisor and werkzeug.  Those are two packages that I use all the time.

I wouldn't mind working on those.

I'm excited about python3 just so I can use function annotations like

def f(x:int) -> int:
    return x*x

Screw those smug haskell bastards.

Matt

W. Matthew Wilson
ma...@tplus1.com
http://tplus1.com

Benjamin W. Smith

Mar 29, 2013, 7:43:47 PM3/29/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, March 29, 2013, W. Matthew Wilson wrote:
I just checked that list and I saw supervisor and werkzeug.  Those are two packages that I use all the time.

Supervisord's code base is interesting. I've been all up in it before. I'm down with that as well.

I wouldn't mind working on those.

I'm excited about python3 just so I can use function annotations like

def f(x:int) -> int:
    return x*x

Screw those smug haskell bastards.

It's easy to be smug with a type system like that ;)
Benjamin W. Smith
http://benjaminwarfield.com

Daniel Buch

Mar 30, 2013, 9:46:55 PM3/30/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
/me wishes he was still in the Cleve for this.

Perhaps we can do similar at an upcoming PGHPy or OpenHack or some
such nonsense.

W. Matthew Wilson

Apr 1, 2013, 9:18:21 AM4/1/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
I found this github issue for supervisor and python 3: https://github.com/Supervisor/supervisor/issues/110

Seems like there's already some work done.  We just need to read up on the back story.

Matt

Benjamin W. Smith

Apr 1, 2013, 1:10:26 PM4/1/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
/me wants to see @meatballhat come to CLE for this.

Benjamin W. Smith

Apr 1, 2013, 1:10:47 PM4/1/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
dig it

Daniel Buch

Apr 1, 2013, 1:50:31 PM4/1/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com

Ditto

Benjamin W. Smith

Apr 4, 2013, 10:38:53 AM4/4/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
Here's some more helpful stuff.

I'm really looking forward to this. Any thoughts on a date/time/location? I have some ideas.

W. Matthew Wilson

Apr 4, 2013, 3:26:14 PM4/4/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
I like LaunchHouse for the meetup.  Free parking.  But any spot is good.

Matt

Robert Clark

Apr 4, 2013, 4:37:06 PM4/4/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
If its at LaunchHouse, I can probably swing some funding for late night beverages that the PSF won't necessarily cover.

-Rob

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM, W. Matthew Wilson <ma...@tplus1.com> wrote:
I like LaunchHouse for the meetup.  Free parking.  But any spot is good.

Matt

Nick Barendt

Apr 4, 2013, 6:45:26 PM4/4/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com
Need to see who on our end could host, but LeanDog boat is an option.

-Nick

Benjamin W. Smith

Apr 11, 2013, 2:27:47 PM4/11/13
to cl...@googlegroups.com