Guide For The Perplexed

Paul Abrahams

Apr 8, 2022, 12:26:54 PMApr 8
to Clementine Music Player
Clementine is a really fine music player -- but if there's any instruction manual for it, it's very well hidden.  Does such a thing exist?

Roger Haslock

Jun 24, 2022, 11:56:19 AMJun 24
to Clementine Music Player
I would really appreciate this. I have a specific question, which may be answered somewhere  but I can't find the answer - How do I organise my filenames and directories to correspond with Clementines perception.

I have just added a directory which contains directories, each with the name of an Artist, which contain a set of songs. These were taken from 78's and 45's, so there are no albums to be considered.

Clementine interprets the Artist names as Albums, but sometimes lists the original disc as the Album (eg Victor 27934-a).

I would appreciate knowing where to find the information, or failing that, advice on how to do it.

PS I have just noticed that Clem has followed my (correctly named) symbolic link files to the (incorrectly named) mp3's, so that the library is listing a number of tracks by Erroll Garner as by Errol or Errorl Garner, to my disgust. I've just spent a couple of weeks getting it right!

Garthhh

Jun 26, 2022, 5:08:31 PMJun 26
to Clementine Music Player
How did you generate the meta data for the files?
Clementine expects
Artist>album>file
Artist>song,  works
I would make the song name the album name

Minor differences, mis-spellings, order of the filename, will show up

I generally process files I've captured with Audacity with a metadata editor
The clementine version is ok, try highlighting all the songs of an artist, which makes it easier to compare/share the information between the files using the editor
I prefer easytag, which is better at changing the file name & filling in the metadata

Roger Haslock

Jun 29, 2022, 12:03:48 PMJun 29
to Clementine Music Player
Am I supposed to generate metadata for files? I have over 3500 of them, and plan to add more.

Derek Ferric

Jun 29, 2022, 2:08:13 PMJun 29
to clementi...@googlegroups.com
You need Picard, an automatic tagger from MusicBrainz.com

Check out my uploaded torrents on TheMixingBowl and please continue to seed after downloading!:

Garthhh

Jun 29, 2022, 10:58:47 PMJun 29
to Clementine Music Player
Music brainz is built into the clementine tag editor