Greeting msg

Pedro Larroy

Mar 2, 2014, 8:42:23 AM3/2/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Wouldn't it be better if the greeting is sent by the client so it's less easy to know what kind of server are we running. I think this makes automated scanning for vulnerabilities less easy if we don't inmediately give away what is running on the open port.  What do you think?

Pedro.

Pedro Larroy

Mar 2, 2014, 8:53:57 AM3/2/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Another point is that to me looks a bit weird that the server starts sending immediately. I prefer to wait and just react to the first message of the client.

Pedro.

Steven Jewel

Mar 2, 2014, 9:31:34 AM3/2/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
In the protocol_cleanup branch the TLS authentication (via SRP) happens
first, before any messages are sent at all, which should stop that
vulnerability.

We can change who sends the first message. As far as I can tell it
won't make much of a difference [1] anymore, so whatever you like works
for me.

Steven

[1]: The only difference that I can see, and it's a minor one for our
use case, is that we can reduce the number of round trips by deciding
who speaks first after the TLS handshake has finished.

As far as I can tell, the handshake "Finished" message is sent by the
client to the server, and then the server sends a "Finished" message
back to the client. By having the server then send the first message
with application data, we'll reduce our number of round trips by one.
I'd have to test this to make sure, and since the connections are
persistent it's not going to matter.