Logo

Steven Jewel

Apr 7, 2014, 12:45:44 PM4/7/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com

André Pereira

Apr 7, 2014, 1:42:59 PM4/7/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
I think at this point we should get a more clear picture of where to invest further effort or in new concepts. Several people have voiced their preferences but none of us is a full fledged designer.

Daniel Cachapa

Apr 8, 2014, 12:17:31 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
Agreed.
Unless someone else has any other concepts they'd like to present, I propose that we take a vote and choose one so it can then be worked upon to produce a good looking logo.
I've embedded the images here to facilitate. I excluded the first one with a lot of different options since it seems to me that no.1 was already the winner of that collection.

1:

2:

3:

4:

Just pick the one you like most and reply here.

Daniel Cachapa

Apr 8, 2014, 12:22:41 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
I vote for no.3.
I think it's simple enough to work at all resolutions, and with some decent shading it can be made to look great.

André Pereira

Apr 8, 2014, 12:31:07 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
I think you might be missing about 11  already proposed concepts, including one from Jewel.

Daniel Cachapa

Apr 8, 2014, 12:39:26 PM4/8/14
to ClearSkies Dev List, clear...@stevenjewel.com
Do you mean these?

I was under the impression that logo 1 was the "winner" of that collection, am I wrong?
We can certainly add those to the vote.

Daniel Cachapa

Steven Jewel

Apr 8, 2014, 1:05:19 PM4/8/14
to ClearSkies Dev List
On 04/08/2014 10:39 AM, Daniel Cachapa wrote:

> I was under the impression that logo 1 was the "winner" of that
> collection, am I wrong?
> We can certainly add those to the vote.

There wasn't a winner chosen. I like B, H, I, and J from that image.

What's the best method for choosing a winner? Obviously whoever goes to
the trouble to make a GUI will have the freedom to use whatever icon he
or she wants, and also could ship under a completely different name than
"clearskies".

For my purposes I'd like to have a logo to put front-and-center on the
jewel/clearskies README, of fairly large size, as a way to emphasize the
concept. Also I think it'll help the project stick a little better in
people's minds.

I kind of like the "sketched" look for that purpose, since it makes it
feel conceptual. However, for other places where an icon is used, it'd
make sense to polish it off.

Instead of picking one logo, we could go with "yellow sun, with arrows",
and leave individual sub-projects to build on that idea as suits their
needs. With Clearskies, we're definitely using a "bazaar" process,
meaning there's no central command-and-control, so it'd be hard to try
and force centralized branding anyway.

We could set a deadline for votes, say a week out, and then everyone
could vote for the logos they like. Everyone would be allowed to vote
for more than one logo- i.e. you're voting for the logos you find
acceptable. We could then total all the votes and whichever has the
most can be the winner.

Steven

Dmitry Yakimenko

Apr 8, 2014, 1:40:49 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
I was thinking about the logo. We don't want our logo to look like a weather app. So the sun and clouds (or lack of) is not too good. What if we had multiple suns with rays as arrows that represent data exchange? Or two planets or a planet and the sun? This should not resemble a weather app. I cannot doodle right now, maybe I'll try to come up with something later.

Another idea is a schematic star constellation that resembles a network with some data flowing through it.

Dima.

Daniel Cachapa

Apr 8, 2014, 1:51:10 PM4/8/14
to ClearSkies Dev List
>> I was under the impression that logo 1 was the "winner" of that
>> collection, am I wrong?
>> We can certainly add those to the vote.
>>

> There wasn't a winner chosen. I like B, H, I, and J from that image.

Oh, sorry for my misunderstanding then.

> What's the best method for choosing a winner? Obviously whoever goes to the
> trouble to make a GUI will have the freedom to use whatever icon he or she
> wants, and also could ship under a completely different name than
> "clearskies".

In my view, other apps will implement the CS protocol. The benefit of
having a recognizable logo will be that it can then be displayed
within the app, either in the protocol choice UI (for multi-protocol
apps), or in the about screen.
The official app would have a logo which is either the CS logo, or a
variation thereof.

> I kind of like the "sketched" look for that purpose, since it makes it feel
> conceptual. However, for other places where an icon is used, it'd make
> sense to polish it off.

I see. Personally I'd prefer a polished icon (gives an immediate
impression of quality), understand your point.

> Instead of picking one logo, we could go with "yellow sun, with arrows", and
> leave individual sub-projects to build on that idea as suits their needs.
> With Clearskies, we're definitely using a "bazaar" process, meaning there's
> no central command-and-control, so it'd be hard to try and force centralized
> branding anyway.

This is true, but not unheard of. Popular examples are Linux and git
(http://git-scm.com/images/lo...@2x.png).
It's clear that anyone can use a different icon, and there's no way we
would enforce otherwise (and why would we want that anyway?), but it's
in fact a benefit to the implementer to be able to easily show that
they're CS-compatible.

> We could set a deadline for votes, say a week out, and then everyone could
> vote for the logos they like. Everyone would be allowed to vote for more
> than one logo- i.e. you're voting for the logos you find acceptable. We
> could then total all the votes and whichever has the most can be the winner.

I agree with this.
In that case, how would we do the voting? It just dawned on me that
running the vote through the mailing list is going to be difficult.
I'm pretty sure there must be a better way of doing it. Doodle maybe?

bat...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2014, 1:54:29 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Doodle is fine, let's just wait for  few more concepts (I have a few more I'd like to try) and after the doodle results we can go ahead and filter it for a final selection.

Cumprimentos,
André Pereira

Daniel Cachapa

Apr 8, 2014, 3:27:52 PM4/8/14
to ClearSkies Dev List
Sure. I don't think there's any hurry.
Daniel Cachapa
> "ClearSkies Dev" group.

Pedro Larroy

Apr 8, 2014, 8:46:28 PM4/8/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com

I vote for J from the github page without a better option. But I'm not 100% satisfied with the sun for the reasons that Dmitry Yakimenko exposed. It looks a bit like a weather app. I would like something that suggest syncing data or files.

Pedro.

lowe...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2014, 5:07:03 AM4/10/14
On Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:17:31 PM UTC-4, Daniel Cachapa wrote:
> Agreed.
> Unless someone else has any other concepts they'd like to present, I propose that we take a vote and choose one so it can then be worked upon to produce a good looking logo.
> I've embedded the images here to facilitate. I excluded the first one with a lot of different options since it seems to me that no.1 was already the winner of that collection.
>

> 1:
>

> 2:
>

> 3:
>

> 4:
>

> Just pick the one you like most and reply here.
>

> On Monday, 7 April 2014 17:42:59 UTC, André Pereira wrote:
> I think at this point we should get a more clear picture of where to invest further effort or in new concepts. Several people have voiced their preferences but none of us is a full fledged designer.
>
> Segunda-feira, 7 de Abril de 2014 17:45:44 UTC+1, Steven Jewel escreveu:Hello everyone,
>

>      A few of us have been discussing which logo to use in a place where
>
> most of you might not have seen it [1].  I'm moving that discussion here.
>

>      See these images for most of the proposed logos:
>

> https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/5789232/2623060/89532e9e-bcd7-11e3-87ca-3c5936b76bbf.png
>

>      Also a few more:
>

> https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/97439/2623603/6376da3a-bcfb-11e3-8dd9-ab50eb502800.png
>

> https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/1006207/2625300/19ac7b26-bd8c-11e3-958f-ed227e4ec923.png
>

> https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/1006207/2626025/cbf3c314-bdb6-11e3-8a03-78d98f8bab52.jpg
>

> https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/1006207/2626026/d24b4e4e-bdb6-11e3-9031-8bd8337d0d60.jpg
>

> Steven
>

> [1]:
>
> https://github.com/larroy/clearskies_core/commit/289dc88bce8e80e16c9b7a6ef1e38cddac2bf405

I really like No. 2

sh...@shishnet.org

Apr 10, 2014, 12:18:02 PM4/10/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Personally I like the weather metaphor... in particular thinking about a systray icon:

Just the sun icon ("Clear Skies" :P) -> All is good
Sun with clouds moving across it -> Files are being synced
Storm clouds -> Error
Moon -> ClearSkies daemon is not running

As someone who would never have a weather app running in their systray (if I want to know what the weather is like right now, I look out the window; if I want a forecast, I'd use a full-screen app like a web browser), I can't see how it would be possible to confuse the two...

-- Shish

André Pereira

Jun 18, 2014, 1:28:21 PM6/18/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
For those who are still interested in this topic, this post tackles a similar issue and is worth a read, anyway.