Clearskies based social network

andrewc...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2014, 1:16:43 PM3/3/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

First, this is a fantastic idea - well done.

I'm exploring ideas for the back-end of a distributed social network. I wonder if there are any reasons that the existing and planned protocol that you've developed wouldn't work for this.

The idea involves users having their own server and storing their own information & files. Nothing would end up on your server without agreement.

Various rules generated from the social network layer would be implemented by reconfiguring the sync backend.

For example, 'following' someone would mean accepting a one-way, filtered, synchronised folder from their server. This would then be displayed on their home page etc.

Do you think this type of setup would be a suitable application to run on top of ClearSkies?

Andrew

Steven Jewel

Mar 3, 2014, 2:37:18 PM3/3/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Have you seen http://vole.cc? They are building something similar,
albeit currently on top of btsync.

I think your proposal is reasonable and would work well.

Instead of thinking about one server per user, it might be better to
have a "private" read-write share for each user. This would keep track
of which people the person is following (and their read-only share key),
and would be added to all of her devices. That way she'd be able to
interact with the social network from her laptop even if her desktop at
home is off, or vice versa.

One neat thing about your design is that even if your friend's device
was off, you'd be able to sync content from the friends of your friend.
That means only a few people would need to have their devices on all
of the time in order for the system to work for everyone.

Steven