Green hosting

Paul Tanner

Nov 26, 2012, 5:52:22 AM11/26/12
to clean...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We touched on this subject at the last meeting.  It would be useful if green hosting companies could post their green credentials in a verifiable way and if they were easier to find.

Certification schemes cost money to implement so we'd need a sponsor but the process could be quite simple.

Verifying the identity of their energy supplier(s) and getting independent carbon ratings (from AMEE) would not be onerous.

Then we'd need a badge device and a very simple website and not much more.

Comments?

Regards, Paul

James Smith

Nov 26, 2012, 6:15:57 AM11/26/12
to clean...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul,

On Monday, 26 November 2012 10:52:22 UTC, Paul Tanner wrote:
Verifying the identity of their energy supplier(s) and getting independent carbon ratings (from AMEE) would not be onerous.

AMEE's supplier data (http://discover.amee.com/categories/UK_energy_by_supplier) is slightly out of date (up to 2009), but now that their datasets are open source it would be easy enough to fork and send a pull request with the latest data from http://www.electricityinfo.org/supplierdataall.php?year=latest if you did want to use it.

cheers,
James