My thoughts about E21 and the CC series

Andreas Altendorfer

Aug 27, 2013, 2:15:48 AM8/27/13
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Uncle Bob, another great episode!

I noticed an improvement in sound quality. (I work for a company producing distance learning stuff and I can't highlight often enough how important sound quality is).

When I watched E21 everything seems to be obvious for me and I didn't learn everything new.
But then ... I opened some of my latest test-files, and what I see there made me angry about myself. I realized how often I fail to follow this obvios simple rules.
I spent three hours reviewing our current project to give specs better names :)

So, even from episodes which doesn't learn me new things, I benefit by reviewing my current work.
Knowledge doesn't make one a good craftsman if it's not reflected in daily work. That's the reason I love your CC series so much. Every single episode, the ones teaching me new things as well as the ones reminding me to do clean work every single day.

Thank you so much!

Uncle Bob

Aug 27, 2013, 7:21:51 AM8/27/13
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
Andreas,

Thank you.  It's important to remember that the word "advanced" does not mean "new".  For a topic like TDD it means "deep".  These episodes on TDD are a microscope not a telescope.  They focus on the bits of TDD we thought we knew; to reveal minutia that we hadn't thought deeply about.  At least that's my intent.

Many of you out there may view these videos and come away thinking: "OK, I already knew that".  But these are things that took me a long time to figure out.  So, at least to me, they are deep and advanced.