Synthetic Shimaoka Nami Jiro cone 10.

Lee

Feb 11, 2010, 11:13:14 AM2/11/10
to ClayCraft, WoodKiln
Anybody doing glaze testing?

Synthetic Shimaoka Nami Jiro cone 9/10.

EPK 49
Whiting 14
Dolomite 8
Silica 7.4
Custer 7.4
custer 24
Mag Carb .07
Bone ash 2.3
R. I Ox.  .08

        I will do a line blend adding 5 and 10% Kaolin.   I may test
tile 6 instead of EPK too.  When John Anthony tested for me, it beaded
and I would like it more smooth for glaze trailing over it.    If
anybody tries, please share your tests.

Lee Love in Minneapolis
http://mingeisota.blogspot.com/

"Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI—tIr dlainn trina chéile"—that is, "The land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent within itself." -- John O'Donohue

Paul Herman

Feb 11, 2010, 12:43:31 PM2/11/10
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

Is there a misprint in this recipe? Custer is listed twice.

best,

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle, California US

--
Photo log at: http://claycraft.blogspot.com/

Lee

Feb 11, 2010, 1:41:11 PM2/11/10
to ClayCraft, WoodKiln
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Lee <tog...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anybody doing glaze testing?

Synthetic Shimaoka Nami Jiro cone 9/10.

EPK 49
Whiting 14
Dolomite 8
Silica 7.4
custer 24
Mag Carb .07
Bone ash 2.3
R. I Ox.  .08

Thanks Paul!   Corrected recipe above!

Neon-Cat

Feb 11, 2010, 1:57:51 PM2/11/10
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Lee, do the original non-synthetic versions of Nami Jiro use wood ash or what? Just curious. You have some older photos up that look great. I know nothing about this glaze (type).

It looks interesting, I'll try it soon.
Thanks!

Marian

Lee

Feb 11, 2010, 2:12:35 PM2/11/10
to clay...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Neon-Cat <neo...@flash.net> wrote:
Lee, do the original non-synthetic versions of Nami Jiro use wood ash or what? Just curious. You have some older photos up that look great. I know nothing about this glaze (type).

Yes.  I used:

3 parts washed wood ash
2 parts  Gariome Clay
1 part Amakusa Stone (porcelain stone.)

These were mixed by wet ladle measure (each material made into a slip/slurry, water skimmed off the top and then ladled out.)

Neon-Cat

Feb 12, 2010, 1:04:54 AM2/12/10
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Lee!
Interesting and easy way to mix an ash glaze, too -- I'll have to try it.

Marian
(we've got real snow!! deep and lovely. unusual for north central texas)

Lee In Mpls, MN

Sep 14, 2013, 9:35:56 PM9/14/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com, ClayCraft, WoodKiln
  Have to continue this tests.

June

Sep 15, 2013, 3:22:25 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com, ClayCraft, WoodKiln

June

Sep 15, 2013, 3:36:44 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com, ClayCraft, WoodKiln

Lee,

Since I'm bored out of my skull why recuperating from surgery, I thought I'd run your original Nami Jiro through my Insight software and I came up with this version.

Nami Jiro Cone 9-10

talc                      0.95
Dolomite             19.21
G-200 Feldspar    43.92
Whiting               22.82
Bandy Black         6.10
bone ash               5.06
manganese carb    1.95

I chose the ingredients which would closely match the original. All the RO column ingredients and alumina match the original. The only exception is the K and N total is same but the K is not as high and the n is a bit lower. If I chose a higher K, it would have made the silica even higher. The silica is just a bit higher which actually helps the explain a bit. Both the original and this one are below the minimum suggested silica for a cone 10 glaze.

If someone wants to try this, they might want to try a Custer version too. It will have more siica and will affect the RO column as well. I chose Bandy Black because it supplies the trace of manganese that is in the original. I also use Pine Ash, as the ash, since I thought that may be the most likely ash that was used, since many or all of the wood kilns I visited in Japan used red pine. Also, the G-200 was based on the original G-200 and not the current one.

I'm only doing earthenware these days, so I won't be testing this; but if anyone does, I'd appreciate some feedback.

Warm regards,
June Perry

June Perry

Sep 15, 2013, 3:41:41 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com

OOPS, that should have "while"recuperating. Also, other error - should have
read that the K is not as high as original, but the N is higher, making the total Kna the same as the original.

Sep 15, 2013, 3:42:47 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com

I' m @ Target Rx, so a short note from my phone.  What is Bandy Black?   I will write more later.

June Perry

Sep 15, 2013, 3:43:44 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com
It's a ball clay. I chose it because it contains a trace of manganese which is in the original recipe.

Sep 15, 2013, 3:49:45 PM9/15/13
to wood...@googlegroups.com, ClayCraft
Hi Lee, and Bill,

I think it's a GREAT idea to try to bring this list back to life. I would like to make some reconnections to the wood fire community. They are a kind of quiet bunch I think, and not very communicative by nature, but here goes an attempt.

What are you folks doing? Any wood firings going on? If not, have you got any plans for wood firing in the future? I you are going to build a kiln, what kind?

What's going on here is that we are getting ready for the 28th firing of the wood kiln this fall, October 27th through 30th. We have done a firing every fall and spring, relentlessly, since spring 2000. I think we are starting to get to know a little about how to fire the kiln, but it's a long learning process. As they say, the joy is in the journey. It's been a wonderful learning experience for me, and a fine bunch of people have gathered here around the kiln for firings. A few of the guys are coming out Thursday for a few hours of splitting and stacking, and kiln cleaning. Then the wood pile will be ready and big enough to satisfy me. I think we use about six cords of pine for a firing.

I've been making a lot of domestic ware, casseroles, bowls and mugs for this firing. That is what seems to regularly sell. What are you making these days?

I always enjoy the little magazine for wood firers, The Log Book, that comes out four times a year.

I hope you all are having a good year.

Paul Herman

Great Basin Pottery
Doyle, California US

On Sep 14, 2013, at 8:26 PM, Bill Fornshell wrote:

Hi Bill!  Maybe we can breath some life into this list!

Craig Edwards

Sep 15, 2013, 6:38:59 PM9/15/13
to ClayCraft
Does anyone have a picture of this glaze?
~Craig

Make Good Pots
Ii touki o tsukurimasho
~Craig
New London MN
http://woodfiredpottery.blogspot.com/

June Perry

Sep 15, 2013, 6:46:57 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com
Craig, you should be able to find a photo or two by using google images.

June

Sep 15, 2013, 6:55:11 PM9/15/13
to ClayCraft, Craig Edwards
Craig, I left you a voice mail.   Call me about Korean Chusok/Harvest Festival.   Gonna be fun!

James Cody Kroll

Sep 15, 2013, 7:05:48 PM9/15/13
to clay...@googlegroups.com

I'm glad to see life in the list. I've never really responded before just read. I recently had a successful 5 day anagama firing in Corning, NY with Fred Herbst. I'm sharing a small train kiln with one other potter at Salem Art Works end of the month for a 3-4 day firing.

I make predominantly Tea Ware and Ikebana ware. I formally study the Urasenke School of Chanoyu and the Hijiri-Ikenobo school of Ikebana as well as 20 years in Aikido.

I'm currently experimenting with shino variations using the Freer sample as my guide, substituting wood ash for limestone and synthetic rice straw ash for silica. I'm also always experimenting with nezumi shino and chosen karatsu glazes. I live in the rust belt so I fire in any anagama I can find may-nov & gas fire nov-may. I'm looking for land this year or next to build a Sasukene kiln of Masakazu Kusakabe's design in the Rochester, NY area and maybe one on Oahu, HI with Cory Lum and Kusakabe Sensei in 2014. That what is going on here.

Lee

Sep 15, 2013, 8:07:45 PM9/15/13
to ClayCraft
Hi James,

                If you can get your hand on a copy of the Studio Potter article by Jim Robinson  SP Volume 21 Number 1 by Jim Robinson entitled, "Revival Fires: Another Face for Shino,"     I've been experimenting with the Mino Shino which uses no clay, instead calcined Alumina.    Also, John Britt has many of the recipes from that article in his high fire glazes book.

It can be back order here:

Here are some of my Mino experiments.Inline image 1

 Lee 李 Love in Longfellow,Minneapolis, MN USA

Craig Edwards

Sep 15, 2013, 9:01:37 PM9/15/13
to Lee, ClayCraft
Thanks!!

Make Good Pots
Ii touki o tsukurimasho
~Craig
New London MN
http://woodfiredpottery.blogspot.com/

Lee In Mpls, MN

May 30, 2022, 10:26:05 AM5/30/22
to ClayCraft
Did a google search for this glaze and found our old list again: