[Clayart] Raku shelf placement

Helen Stone via Clayart

May 24, 2024, 12:34:21 PMMay 24
to cla...@lists.clayartforum.com, Helen Stone
Hi,
I built my last softbrick Raku kiln maybe 13 years ago and, after a gap, am
building another one in Ecuador. I cannot remember whether to leave a space
at the rear between the kiln shelf and the kiln wall (it is an updraft), or
to butt the kiln shelf against the rear wall.. I remember to leave a space
of maybe 1 inch between kiln shelf and side walls. For the front, I think
that I can leave a small space also. Can anyone help with this question?
Many thanks,
Helen in southern Ecuador
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Snail Scott via Clayart

May 26, 2024, 6:32:44 AMMay 26
to Clayart international pottery discussion forum, Snail Scott
On May 24, 2024, at 8:09 AM, Helen Stone via Clayart <cla...@lists.clayartforum.com> wrote:
> I built my last softbrick Raku kiln ... I cannot remember whether to leave a space
> at the rear between the kiln shelf and the kiln wall (it is an updraft), or
> to butt the kiln shelf against the rear wall…

Hi, Helen!
Without seeing the location of the burner(s) and setup, I will say that in general, blocking the flow of gases is seldom useful and may lead to cool spots. I’d permit flow all around, unless there’s a reason not to.

-Snail