[Clayart] Glass Melted on Fired Clay- a few empirical examples

Bonnie Hellman via Clayart

Jun 12, 2024, 9:50:50 PMJun 12
to cla...@lists.clayartforum.com, Bonnie Hellman
My limited experience with adding colored glass on top of the bottom of a
clay vessel was that it looked great, but fractured. If you ran your
fingers over the glass, you could feel the "lines" but they were not sharp.
Certainly the piece was not suitable for food.

Some people also added pulverized (maybe powdered) glass into soft clay, as
a magazine article at least 15 years ago suggested, and built small
structures, which they successfully fired.

Before firing, Steven Branfman regularly adds small pieces of colored glass
to the exterior of his raku fired vessels. They look great, but I don't
know if they fracture.

Bonnie Hellman

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2024 13:51:59 -0400
From: ron...@ca.inter.net
To: Clayart international pottery discussion forum
<cla...@lists.clayartforum.com>
Cc: "Robert L. Johnson" <impal...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Clayart] Safety issues with melting glass in functional
pots

Hi Robert,

It probably depends on the difference in expansion/contraction between
the clay and the glass. It's complicated and I would say unpredictable
without measuring each and then deciding how wide those cracks are.

I would not choose to do that.

RR

Quoting "Robert L. Johnson via Clayart" <cla...@lists.clayartforum.com>:

> Had anyone experienced dangers associated with clear melted glass in mugs,
> bowls, or other food vessels?
>
> I understand that there will be microcracks that could harbor very small
> food and dust particles. That doesn?t worry me. But is there a danger of
> glass chunks falling out and getting swallowed any more than normal glaze
> chunks spalling off?
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
https://lists.clayartforum.com/pipermail/clayart/attachments/20240611/df44f292/attachment.htm

Ron Roy