[Clayart] Terry, iron red

mel jacobson via Clayart

Jun 1, 2024, 7:44:41 AMJun 1
to cla...@lists.clayartforum.com, mel jacobson
“Making glaze is based on your kiln, your chemicals and your own timing.
Glazes do not travel well”

All of the above are true statements. It is the joy of being an independent potter.
Your studio is not controlled by your vendor. “Got any cute baby blue glaze?”

Joe Koons and I learned a great deal with the “haresfur” project. Iron was our only colorant. To keep faith with the study we did not use any other colorant. We did, however, use many different forms of iron, like Spanish, ochre, basic red, and about ten others. How the glaze was fired was the most important aspect of red. We also got some amazing bright yellow from an ochre that Joe found in the mountains of California. (notice, high temp and oxy firing, slow cool…yellow)

Reduction is not a friend of iron red. Firing to cone 11 is rather interesting, and very slow cooling is a must. Joe found that bone ash helped turn iron red. We did not use it in our trials. We did not want to add an element that may not have been used in the year 56.

I pulled some amazing bright iron red glazes from my kiln in Minnetonka, totally oxy firing to cone 11. And for long cool down/down fire.

There are some nice glazes out there…different names like “Persimmon”, iron red, and some “Temmoku is actually iron red.” It sure is fun to open a kiln when adventure waits for us.
Mel

www.melpots.com