[Clayart] Safety issues with melting glass in functional pots

Robert L. Johnson via Clayart

Jun 11, 2024, 8:08:27 PMJun 11
to cla...@lists.clayartforum.com, Robert L. Johnson
Had anyone experienced dangers associated with clear melted glass in mugs,
bowls, or other food vessels?

I understand that there will be microcracks that could harbor very small
food and dust particles. That doesn’t worry me. But is there a danger of
glass chunks falling out and getting swallowed any more than normal glaze
chunks spalling off?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

joel joelfink.net via Clayart

Jun 11, 2024, 10:16:02 PMJun 11
to Clayart international pottery discussion forum, joel joelfink.net
I would worry about differences in coefficients of expansion shivering off fragments of glass into food.

Joel Fink
Ficklefink Pottery
________________________________
Jun 12, 2024, 7:32:17 AMJun 12
to cla...@lists.clayartforum.com, sumi
I believe this is generally considered a very dangerous practice for any
form that is intended for food. You can experiment on ware that you
intend to use, but I believe it would be inadvisable to give or sell
these items to anyone else to use for food.

Sumi
--
Sumi von Dassow
President, Beulah Valley Arts Council

ronroy--- via Clayart

Jun 12, 2024, 4:08:55 PMJun 12
to Clayart international pottery discussion forum, ron...@ca.inter.net, Robert L. Johnson
Hi Robert,

It probably depends on the difference in expansion/contraction between
the clay and the glass. It's complicated and I would say unpredictable
without measuring each and then deciding how wide those cracks are.

I would not choose to do that.

RR

Quoting "Robert L. Johnson via Clayart" <cla...@lists.clayartforum.com>:

> Had anyone experienced dangers associated with clear melted glass in mugs,
> bowls, or other food vessels?
>
> I understand that there will be microcracks that could harbor very small
> food and dust particles. That doesn?t worry me. But is there a danger of
> glass chunks falling out and getting swallowed any more than normal glaze
> chunks spalling off?
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Ron Roy
ron...@ca.inter.net