Operator parsing in clay vs newclay

Antal Szabó

Dec 22, 2014, 5:43:49 PM12/22/14
to clay-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm gathering ideas for a (mostly toy) programming language I would like to create.

Iwas looking at clay's operator module, and if I'm correct it handles operator precedence parsing in the library instead of the compiler, which I find amazing (browsing through the code I noticed that pretty much everything is realized in the library which is, again, amazing). Then I looked at newclay's operators module, and I didn't find anything like it there (if it's there, just somewhere else, please tell me). So my question is: what were the reasons for this?

Antal Szabó

Joe Groff

Dec 23, 2014, 10:22:29 PM12/23/14
to Clay Programming Language
That's correct. An operator expression gets parsed into individual operator invocations by the library. Jeremy Clifford implemented this in clay after we had stopped work on newclay, so newclay still has a fixed operator set with hardcoded desugaring to function calls.

-Joe