installing clawpack on a windows which has anaconda and vm virtual box

Kadir Çar

Mar 20, 2024, 3:50:30 AMMar 20
to claw-users
Hello, firstly I am a bit confused because I don't really know about the general mistake first I downloaded vm-ware then I tried to follow instruction to install clawpack but it gave an error which I dont remember now then I faced the same promblems with conda environment and now I have the same issue with virtual box. Can anyone help me which environment is best for beginners to install and easy to understand? I need to use clawpack but I cannot solve the installation problems and cant paste the error from virtual box but when I type the command install clawpack. Please recommend an environment for windows to use it

Marc Kjerland

Mar 21, 2024, 1:05:58 AMMar 21
to claw-...@googlegroups.com
Kadir,

I have had past success using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) Ubuntu terminal environment. This is officially supported by Microsoft and you can search online for installation instructions (it might even be in the Microsoft Store).

However, file access between the Windows and WSL environments is slightly cumbersome.

I shared the instructions below with a colleague a few years ago - the Clawpack versions need to be updated (in steps 5-6) but as a general framework it should help you once you have a fresh Ubuntu environment.

1. Install Pip
sudo apt install python3-pip

2. Redirect Python to Python3
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python3 /usr/bin/python

3. Install Fortran compiler
sudo apt install gfortran

4. Install OpenMP libraries
sudo apt install libomp-dev

5. Install Clawpack
pip install --src=$HOME/clawpack_src --user -e \

6. Set environment variables - open .bashrc in the home directory using a text editor and add these lines at the end:
export CLAW=$HOME/clawpack_src/clawpack-v5.7.0
export FC=gfortran

7. Navigate to a Geoclaw example (i.e. Ike) and open Makefile in a text editor. Change the line starting with FFLAGS to:
FFLAGS ?= -O2 -fopenmp

8. Open a command prompt in this example directory and run:
make all

9. Open _plots/_PlotIndex.html

-Marc