Problem in test Clawpack-v5-10.0

Ren

May 29, 2024, 5:33:23 AMMay 29
to claw-users
Dear Prof. LeVeque and other developers,
Thank you for updating the new clawpack. I am trying to test the new version of clawpack.
After download and install, I have test an example (2010 Chile). However, it implies  some errors (See the figure). I have never seen these errors before. Could you please provide some suggestions? Thanks!

Regards,
Zhiyuan

error.jpg

Kyle Mandli

May 29, 2024, 10:41:46 AMMay 29
to claw-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zhiyuan,

That is a feature of Python 3 as mentioned in https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36901/what-does-double-star-asterisk-and-star-asterisk-do-for-parameters#36908 and in PEP 3102 https://peps.python.org/pep-3102/.  This was added to make the function in question safer and more explicit (surprisingly perhaps).  I am therefore guessing you are still using Python 2.x or a really old version of Python 3?

Kyle
<error.jpg>

Ren

May 29, 2024, 9:32:40 PMMay 29
to claw-users
Dear Kyle,

Thank you for the reply! In fact, I both install python2 and python3. I have selected python3 in '.bashrc':

alias python='usr/bin/python3'
#alias python='usr/bin/python2'

The python3 version is 3.8.10. Do you think it is OK? Or I would update to be 3.10 or newest.

Regards,
Zhiyuan

Kyle Mandli

May 30, 2024, 9:29:52 AMMay 30
to claw-...@googlegroups.com
That should be a sufficient version but I would be cautious that an alias is going to make it so that your chosen python is being used.  The better option is to create a symlink instead and make sure it is first on your path.

Kyle

Ren

May 31, 2024, 5:11:53 AMMay 31
to claw-users
Hi, Kyle,

To report the new stage, I give this command, and it works well. Thanks a lot!

sudo apt install python-is-python3

Regards,
Zhiyuan

Kyle Mandli