Clarification regarding topo value B in fixed grid monitoring output files

NAVEEN R

Sep 28, 2022, 7:18:47 AM9/28/22
to claw-users

Hello everyone,

My name is Naveen and I am using GEOCLAW for some tsunami simulation.

I am a bit confused with the value indicated by topo B in column 4 of the fgmax output text files as described here: https://www.clawpack.org/fgmax.html#:~:text=The%20columns%20of,2N%3A%20arrival%20time

  1.  Does the topo B value indicate the pre or post-deformation elevation value on the selected AMR level? I ask this because the B values remain the same for all of my different tsunami dtopo events I am modelling.
  2. If it is the pre-deformation value, is there a place where the updated topo value is saved during the simulation, which is the B +  dz (local deformation)?
  3. Just to be double sure, is the value in Column 5 max depth hgiven wrt to topo B elevation pre or post dtopo deformation?
Thanks in advance.

Naveen

NAVEEN R

Oct 10, 2023, 4:37:12 PM10/10/23
to claw-users
Any comments? Also, I was a bit confused if the fgmax grid depth h is wrt pre B0 or B post-deformation elevation on land.

Kyle Mandli

Oct 10, 2023, 5:32:34 PM10/10/23
to claw-users
Hi Naveen,

The value used is the current topography as of the recording of the values.  In other words, if the topography has finished moving then the value recorded is post-deformation.  The depth value is independent of the topography so that will not be impacted.

Kyle