Clawpack 5.8.0 released

Randall J LeVeque

Feb 5, 2021, 2:56:03 PM2/5/21
to claw-...@googlegroups.com, Developers of Clawpack
Dear Clawpack Users,

We are happy to announce that Clawpack 5.8.0 has been released.

Version 5.8.0 contains several important bug fixes in GeoClaw. Some of these fix problems with new features introduced in v5.7.0. Others directly affect the computed results of GeoClaw simulations. There is some improvement of the AMR data structures -- it now takes much less storage for some large problems, but may also produce slightly different grid patches.  A change to the transverse Riemann solver for the shallow water equations was also implemented that we believe makes it more correct and robust, but that causes some minor changes in results.  GeoClaw users should take a look at the release notes for more information.

There are also other minor bug fixes and some added or improved capabilities.

See the release notes for a summary of all changes:
  http://www.clawpack.org/release_5_8.0.html

How to get the latest version:

See
    http://www.clawpack.org/installing.html
for several installation options and the list of prerequisites.

Installing from a tarfile is not generally recommended, but one is available at:
    https://github.com/clawpack/clawpack/releases/

The tarfile is also permanently archived on Zenodo with DOI 10.5281/zenodo.4503024,
    https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.4503024
So if you publish results (and also, we hope, the code used to generate them) based on this version, you can rest assured that it will always be available to your readers.  For earlier versions, see
    http://www.clawpack.org/releases.html

Tar files for all recent releases can also now be referenced with the single DOI 10.17605/osf.io/kmw6h, convenient if you have used multiple versions in your work, or want to cite a generic Clawpack DOI.   For more information on how best to cite Clawpack, please see
    http://www.clawpack.org/about.html#citing

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this release. You can view all the commits, diffs, and contributors starting from the release notes page
    http://www.clawpack.org/release_5_8.0.html.

Happy Computing,
  The Clawpack Development Team