July 2024 developer updates

Google for Education Developer Announcements

Aug 12, 2024, 1:10:12 PMAug 12
to Google for Education Developer Announcements

Below are this month's Google for Education developer news items. Please reach out to our support resources with any questions or concerns.

Announcements

Classroom API

✅ See our Preview the Classroom API guide for information about upcoming features and instructions on accessing and using them.

  • No new API announcements this month.

Reminders from last month:

Classroom add-ons
  • Chrome has announced that third-party (3P) cookies will no longer be deprecated. As a result, we do not expect add-ons to be impacted in early 2025. However, Chrome intends to "introduce a new experience in Chrome that lets people make an informed choice that applies across their web browsing, and they’d be able to adjust that choice at any time", so there could still be a future where 3P cookie access is more limited than it is today. We will share updated guidance as we learn more from Chrome, and encourage developers to remain forward-thinking about increased cookieless traffic in the future. If you have questions, please reach out to your Google contact or post a question on StackOverflow.

Reminders from last month:

  • The Course.courseMaterialSets field now exclusively returns an empty list. This field has been deprecated and read-only for several years, so we expect little impact on any production applications.

Documentation changes

Classroom API guides

Please be advised of the following documentation changes this month:

Reminders from last month:

Getting support

Consult the Classroom API developer support pages for FAQs and support resources.