September 2023 Classroom developer update

Classroom Developer Announce

Oct 11, 2023, 8:10:23 AM10/11/23
to Classroom Developer Announce
Below are this month's Classroom developer news items. Please reach out to our support resources with any questions or concerns.

Announcements
  • Through the app access control settings, we’re making it easier for Google Workspace for Education admins to control how third-party apps access their organizations' Google data when users sign-in using their Google Workspace for Education accounts. We are introducing these controls in a way that we hope will help Google and our ecosystem partners ensure that our customers can continue to effectively manage students’ data when accessing third party apps.

    We are requiring Edu Admins to review & confirm currently accessed Third-Party Apps Apps used in their district by October 23, 2023.

    • After Oct 23, 2023, users designated as under 18 will no longer be able to use their Google Workspace for Education account to sign into or share data with any app that is not confirmed by Edu Admin.

    • If your app is already being used in a district, it will be available for Admins to review and approve to help avoid any disruption.

There is no required action from Developers. Google has notified all Edu customers and is continuing to drive communications to education admins.If a customer does reach out to you, you can point them to this help center article, blog post, and instructional video on how to confirm access to third party apps.

See the new access control enhancements guide page for developer best practices.

Classroom APIAdd-ons
  • ⚠️ As mentioned previously, Chrome is phasing out third-party (3P) cookies, starting with 1% of users on January 1, 2024. We will follow up with add-ons partners soon with more details on how this might impact add-ons and any necessary action.

  • ⚠️ The Classroom add-ons "Posts" resource is being removed. Instead, new functionality makes it easier for add-on developers to interact with items in Classroom by improving compatibility with other API features. You can now know whether the add-on is attached to an Announcement, CourseWork assignment, or CourseWorkMaterial. You can also access the underlying item, which was hidden by the previous post endpoints. This lets you take advantage of core Classroom API features such as subscribing to change notifications. See the Classroom add-ons Posts migration guide for more information.

  • If you’re not yet a Classroom add-on partner, you can submit interest using this form. The add-ons API is currently available through a closed early access program only, and we will reach out to invite new participants soon!

Documentation changes

Classroom API guides

Please be advised of the following documentation changes this month: