February 2024 developer update

Google for Education Developer Announcements

Mar 11, 2024, 9:49:30 AMMar 11
to Google for Education Developer Announcements
Below are this month's Google for Education developer news items. Please reach out to our support resources with any questions or concerns.

Announcements

Classroom API

✅ See our Preview the Classroom API guide for information about upcoming features and instructions on accessing and using them.

  • Please take our quick 2-minute survey to share your feedback on our new Classroom API features. Your feedback helps us improve the API to meet your needs!

    • Grading Periods API, launching to public preview in the first half of 2024. See the grading periods article to learn more about grading periods.

    • Rubrics API, available in public preview today. See the guide to get started.

Classroom add-ons
  • We’ve changed the behavior of the add-ons API when creating add-on attachments from your own site or product. Your add-on no longer needs to be allowed by an administrator or installed for this flow. We encourage you to adopt this flow if your users are accustomed to discovering content in your site, as the new behavior removes a barrier to user adoption. Users must still install your add-on for it to appear in the add-ons shelf when creating assignments, announcements, or materials in the Classroom UI.

  • The hd query parameter will no longer be sent when add-ons iframes open. All other query parameters, including login_hint, will continue to be sent.

  • ⚠️ The Classroom add-ons posts resource will be removed at the end of Q1 2024. See the Classroom add-ons Posts migration guide for more information.

    • Action required: if your add-on uses the courses.posts endpoints, you will need to update this to call the new endpoints.

Reminders from last month:

API changes

Classroom API reference

Please be advised of the following API changes this month:

  • We will remove the Course.courseMaterialSets field by the end of March. This field has been deprecated and read-only for several years, so we expect little impact on any production applications.

Documentation changes

Classroom API guides

Please be advised of the following documentation changes this month:

Getting support
Consult the Classroom API developer support pages for FAQs and support resources.