Re: Now listening to... 2012

Rob Jackson

Oct 27, 2012, 3:35:05 AM10/27/12
to Classic Rock eGroup
A few listens on the go at the moment (not all at once though!).

Steve Harris - British Lion: quite like this, although the production sucks. Some tracks are loud and clear, others sound like your listening to it underwater. The music is good though, not Maiden-esque and as Steve himself aid, melodic in a good way.

Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out: Cracking stuff from when they really were the best rock 'n' roll band in the world. A darn sight cheaper than going to see the live too!

Erm, a fair bit of dance music. I think I might be having a mid life crisis! Seriously though some stuff has way more energy and excitement about it than a lot of modern day rock music. Perhaps that's why Chase & Status and Pendulum get slots at Download.

Grainne Duffy - Test Of Time: if you like blues you'll love this. Ms Duffy is the mutts nuts. Much as a like Joanne Shaw Taylor Grainne Duffy knocks spots off her on this record.

Rob

Rob Jackson

Nov 5, 2012, 12:46:36 PM11/5/12
to Classic Rock eGroup
Muse, The 2nd Law

It hasn't been universally welcomed but I'm liking it. Not quite as full on as the last few albums which is good, a bit more light and shade with melody winning out over bombast more often.

Some lovely guitar work on Animals too.

Rob

XRWoody

Nov 16, 2012, 3:11:27 AM11/16/12
to classic rock magazine readers
One of my all time favourite albums blasted the windows in my car this
morning. If you havent heard it for a while may I suggest you stick AC/
DC "If You Want Blood" on and give it some volume.

Go on, just for me, you won't regret it, honest :)

XRWoody

Nov 21, 2012, 2:52:55 AM11/21/12
to classic rock magazine readers
The recent prize winning album "Status Quo Live".

Love it.

J Morgan

Nov 21, 2012, 4:42:15 AM11/21/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Listening to Sheik Yerbouti by Frank Zappa. Its been a long time since
I last listened to it and for got how astonidhing the guitar playing
is on it.

Muttley

Nov 22, 2012, 2:21:57 AM11/22/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Porcupine Tree. - Octane Twisted
New live album with one CD featuring a run through of The Incident and a second disc of other songs. Excellent stuff as you might expect. I hope they get back to business soon. I ordered the special edition of this which comes with a DVD equivalent of the first CD and is quite beautifully packaged.

The Sword - Apocryphon
Off the bike today with the promise of gales and torrential rain this afternoon, so on the way to work with some Sabbath-inspired grooves. The Sword never disappoint.

Cosbox

Nov 22, 2012, 9:53:17 AM11/22/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Even Less is blaring out at me right now!

Just perfect listening - Genius!

fred

Nov 22, 2012, 3:52:57 PM11/22/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Heavens Basement   - Misunderstood

Why is this band not absolutely huge?

They haven’t made a single track that is anything less than brilliant since they first appeared as Roadstar

Fantastic record.

XRWoody

Nov 23, 2012, 3:15:00 AM11/23/12
to classic rock magazine readers
I saw them once Fred, not bad at all.
I did have a CD of theirs but its gone awol, can't remember what it
was called.

Might just check out your recomendation.

XRWoody

Nov 23, 2012, 3:27:56 AM11/23/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Just looked at their web site and FB page - no mention of
"Missunderstood" and suggestions that the album released in Feb 2013
will be their first !

Are there two bands with the same name ?

Kat

Nov 23, 2012, 6:59:52 AM11/23/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
I first saw Heavens Basement when they were still Roadstar and I loved them and caught them at several gigs thereafter. I also had the chance to meet and chat with the band at a local gig and they were all really nice blokes. However, I recently saw them support Halestorm back in September and the new singer sounded good but was terrible to watch - he was strutting around like a Mick Jagger impersonator. It has really put me off which is a shame as the mucis was good but not sure I want to see them live again unless he tones it down a bit

Cosbox

Nov 23, 2012, 1:31:05 PM11/23/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Really enjoying the new Soundgarden CD  - it gets better with each listen

I quite like the second of the Green Day triple release.  Its and odd mix and I can see some punk but even some that sound like The Arctic Monkeys with some sort of Ska type rhythms  - its a grower too.  Looking forward to Tre

I still think they should have taken 15 best tracks and released one rather than three.  Its a bit of cop out and milking the fans

XRWoody

Nov 28, 2012, 3:48:23 AM11/28/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Recent albums played:

Universal Language - Blue Blood
In The Army Now - Status Quo
Monster Philosophy - D-A-D

The D-A-D album is a real grower. I would like to nominate it as one
of the best, most listenable, albums of all time. Its just so good.
Anyone else heard it ? Agree or disagree ?

If you haven't give it a go, I doubt you will be dissapointed.

Also: I have got and watched most of the Status Quo (double) DVD
called: Hello Quo.

Very good, I like this sort of documentary DVD(s). Having said that,
some of the footage of the Frantic Four playing together again is
interesting.

Muttley

Dec 14, 2012, 3:58:23 AM12/14/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Best of - UFO

Now I don't think this is widely known, but I'm going to let the cat out of the bag...... that Schenker chap can play a bit!

Muttley

Dec 17, 2012, 7:24:59 PM12/17/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Crusader by Saxon

Better than I remember, but the start of their dip in form. They managed to turn it around though.

XRWoody

Dec 18, 2012, 3:14:21 AM12/18/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche

Excellence

Ray P

Dec 18, 2012, 2:54:40 PM12/18/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
i believe this is the one I have that came with an additional disc - 4 classics rerecorded - i bought it for the rerecorded ' Dallas 4pm'

Rob Jackson

Dec 27, 2012, 11:47:27 AM12/27/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

I've been listening to the two CDs my kids got me.

The first is the debut from The Treatment. Good stuff. Certainly a young band with plenty of potential and I can see why they got the support slot on the Crüe tour in the USA.

The second is the new one from Joanne Shaw Taylor. A much better album than her sophomore release but not a return to White Sugar days. Much more depth to the material on this one with some awesome, rockier guitar playing. I also hadn't realised she played lead for Annie Lennox at the Jubilee concert on the BBC back in he summer. Good on her.

I also have my Secret Santa to spin at some point and some new stuff on the way from Amazon courtesy of Xmas money.

Rob
Sent from my iPad

XRWoody

Jan 14, 2013, 4:38:41 AM1/14/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Van Halen - Balance
But then I am a Sammy Hagar fan. Just started to read his biography.

Walkway - Top Shelf Content
Has now really grown on me and I like it a lot - more detailed review
to follow.

XRWoody

Jan 16, 2013, 3:20:25 AM1/16/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Anthology - Trespass

Still sounds fresh today in my opinion, great album.

Cosbox

Jan 17, 2013, 9:25:01 AM1/17/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
MUSE - The 2nd Law.

I'm still making my mind up, about the album and the band (despite the section in this months Classic Rock).  Have got tickets to see tehm at The Etihad in June as I reckon it should be a great show

Rob Jackson

Jan 20, 2013, 3:44:43 AM1/20/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
I'm coming to the party late on this one but am currently listening to Last Look At Eden by Europe. Prior to Christmas I only had their greatest hits which included that song (which I remember seeing on the same Top O The Tops shows a Bon Jovi with Living on a Prayer, both bands 'live' in the studio - those were the days) but them I finally got round to hearing Bag Of Bones.

I was impressed by the new album, mixing their melodic roots with a more hard rock and bluesy style so I took a punt on Last Look... It's perhaps a bit closer to their melodic roots than Bag Of Bones but it is a petty darned good record and certainly a gem I missed first time out.

fred

Jan 27, 2013, 1:20:12 PM1/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Today’s listening pleasure was

1 – MY Secret Santa disc – getting into this more and more, the good songs are getting better and the ones I don’t especially go for (although perfectly listenable) are at least staying that way. Still no idea who Santa was but I will post a review soon

Loverboy – Rock n Roll Revival. A newish album with 3 new tracks and current versions of their classic mega hits. Not quite as polished as the original AOR classis and all the better for it, this album is more rocky and has great pace about it. Can see them being a great live act if this is how they sound these days, this is a great cd especially in the car.

Dana Fuchs – Live in NYC – lent from a friend who thought I may like it, he was right on the mark there. What a voice this woman has, Joss Stone meets Janis Joplin but more like the latter and better than both. I will need to invest in her studio work. I love my rock, I love my Soul and I love my Blues and this woman does it all. What a voice, what a voice. If you know this woman’s work shame on you for not posting, this is awesome, if you don’t know her work (like me) shame on us for not knowing.  I have to go see her live. I am in heaven, makes the hairs on everything stand up not just my neck.  I cannot recommend this highly enough, Fu75ig% superb

Ray P

Jan 28, 2013, 4:26:45 PM1/28/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
just a general 'btw'  - i think santa forgot me this year - both. Unless my address wasn't updated ? ( it is entirely possible that i did not pass on my correct address to anyone ! )
it should be  2140 Parkdale Avenue, Glenside PA  19038  USA

Kat

Jan 30, 2013, 1:13:41 PM1/30/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

I have been listening to a mixed bag of stuff lately...

Queens of the stone age - have been revisiting "songs for the deaf" and "rated r"
Gaslight Anthem - Sink or swim
Ritchie Sambora - Afternath of the lowdown (much better than you think it will be, a friend lent me her copy and I am hooked!)
John Mayer - Battle Studies

Hope everyone well

Kat x

fred

Feb 2, 2013, 2:32:45 PM2/2/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Messin around on the PC
Some video footage from the daays when your rock bands had hair
Budgie - the classic line up in the studio for Breadfan

Woody

Feb 3, 2013, 6:09:34 AM2/3/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Top Shelf Content - Walkway.
Its growing on me a lot, took a little acclimatising but well worth
the effort.
"Rise" is still my favourite

Russ Morgan

Feb 3, 2013, 10:13:05 AM2/3/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Great videos. The UFO was taken around 77. 78 time not 1975 because its Paul Raymond on keys.

Sent from my iPad

Rob Jackson

Feb 3, 2013, 10:18:15 AM2/3/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
The Snakecharmer album. Bad Company meets blues era Whitesnake with a bit of classic Thunder thrown in for good measure. Good stuff IMHO.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

Woody

Feb 13, 2013, 1:09:31 PM2/13/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Amariliss by Shinedown , excellent album :)

Red Voodoo by Sammy Hagar - much better than I expected.

Dawn Patrol by Night Ranger, so good to hear this again, I had
forgotten what a pleasant listen this album is. I recently purchased
it on CD and its so clear, I think it might be in the car for a while.
Excellent.

And off to see Limehouse Lizzy in Chelmsford on Friday night.

Rob Jackson

Feb 16, 2013, 4:28:04 AM2/16/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
The Snakecharmer album again. Gets better and better with each play.

Rob

Steve M

Feb 16, 2013, 8:21:49 AM2/16/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Gotta agree Rob, really is an excellent album.

fred

Mar 7, 2013, 4:32:44 PM3/7/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Quo at Manchester Apollo last night
Great Gig, Alan Lancaster looked a little weary but can't fault them on the effort put in for some Old guys.The set was pretty much the Quo live album from what I can remember, the sound was great and it was great to see them rattle through the old songs. Make's you realise how good a guitar player Rossi is.
Glad I went first gig in years where I felt young at 50 yrs as a huge part of the crown were well over that age

Boogie on down

Rob Jackson

Mar 15, 2013, 12:57:35 PM3/15/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Nothing But Love, the new record from Robert Cray. Rather good. Chilled out, laid black blues.

Also been listening to the new Bon Jovi. I think the review in CR is rather harsh, giving it only 2/10. Ok, they are not the band they were in the mid-late 80s / early 90s but then if they tried to be they get slated for being a bunch of middle aged men playing at being kids again.

Yes, Jon's lyrics are a poor man's Springsteen and can come across as cheesy but they write for a US audience and what comes across as corny in other countries plays well at home for them.

At the end of the day it's rock n roll played with honesty and talent and deserves more than just 2/10 IMHO.

Rob

Rob Jackson

Mar 17, 2013, 9:51:42 AM3/17/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Gotthard's self-titled debut album. A brilliant band and Steve Lee was under-rated as a rock singer IMHO.

Anyone heard them with their new singer yet?

Also been listening to:

Within Temptation - The Unforgiving. Bought on the strength of the track on my secret Santa cd. Very good album that has changed my view of them. A stronger record than The Silent Force which was all I'd really heard before.

H.e.a.t - their debut and most recent releases. Very good modern melodic rock band.

Grainne Duffy - Test Of Time. An absolute belter of a blues album from a real talent. If you like Joanne Shaw Taylor, Ana Popovic etc then check out Ms Duffy.

Rob

XRWoody

Mar 18, 2013, 6:40:32 AM3/18/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Gotthard's self-titled debut album. A brilliant band and Steve Lee was
under-rated as a rock singer IMHO. - Agreed mate, 1st album was
excellent and others have been good as well.

Anyone heard them with their new singer yet? - Not me.

Within Temptation - The Unforgiving. Bought on the strength of the
track on my secret Santa cd. Very good album that has changed my view
of them. - Agreed again, very very good album.

Despite the new excellent Saxon and Krokus albums along with the
SnakeCharmer album I really cannot get the D-A-D Monster Magnet album
out of my duke box. A really excellent album that just grows and
growns on you (well, me anyway).

Saw the Quo on Friday night, Walkway on Saturday night both were
excellent and with a Town win (albeit underserved) it was a great
weekend :)

Muttley

Mar 19, 2013, 5:06:15 AM3/19/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Been listening to a variety of stuff recently.

Enjoying the Snakecharmer album like many others have, although I think it's maybe short of that one killer tune that could break them big. Undoubtedly good stuff though.

Saxon album still getting spins of course.

A late runner for the best of 2012 lists is English Electric Part 1 by Big Big Train. Quite old school soothing prog. Occasionally the song lyrics sound a bit forced but the music is outstanding. Haven't picked up part 2 yet, but I certainly will be.

Front runner for 2013 so far is The Raven That Refused To Sing by Steven Wilson. As much as I love Porcupine Tree I've thought his previous solo albums have been poor, but this is a cracker. A bit of a prog greatest hits with a bit from King Crimson, a bit from Floyd etc, even a bit from PT, but it does work. The new Clutch album is out this week though so it might be back to 2nd place shortly.

A couple of blasts from my school days in Future Shock by Gillan and Bark At The Moon by Ozzy - I still love Waiting For Darkness off that. And a blast from my pre-school days in Muswell Hillbillies by The Kinks.

Cheers

Barry McClelland

Mar 19, 2013, 5:53:04 AM3/19/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Had a few strange weeks of listening, went on a bit of a Prince trip lately also the new Saxon and Bullet for my valentine album all sound really good on first listens.
Have tried out a (new to me) Irish band called Kopak and Voodoo Six all because my mates Trucker Diablo are playing with them in the next few weeks both cracking bands and well worth a listen! Winding up for some busy periods with Trucker as the new album "Songs Of Iron" is coming out soon check Truckerdiablio.com for info and some new merch if your interested!

XRWoody

Mar 19, 2013, 6:35:27 AM3/19/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Reposted due to stupid typing error in original listing :)

"Despite the new excellent Saxon and Krokus albums along with the
SnakeCharmer album I really cannot get the D-A-D Monster Philosophy

XRWoody

Mar 21, 2013, 4:38:30 AM3/21/13
to classic rock magazine readers
The days before tomorrow by Lillian Axe.

Good to hear these stalwarts as good as ever :)

Rob Jackson

Mar 24, 2013, 3:48:33 PM3/24/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Youngblood, the new album from Audrey Horne. Very good stuff it is too.

Rockville by FM. Wasn't that taken on the first listen. Pleased to say it was much better second time round.

Gar Clark Jr's Blak and Blu. Whilst I wouldn't agree with the 'new Hendrix' and 'saviour of the blues' hype it is a very good album, mixing should, blues, rock and bit of hip hop too.

Looking forward to tomorrow's release of Joe Bonamassa's acoustic live album too.

Rob

Rob Jackson

Mar 27, 2013, 3:31:12 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
The new Joe Bonamassa acoustic live album. Brilliant and beautiful arrangements of old and new favourites. Love it.

Jo Harman's debut, Dirt On Tongue. Very good soul blues record from a young woman with a stunning voice. Adele who? Yes, she's that good IMHO.

Muttley

Mar 27, 2013, 4:19:56 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
 Well, don't say I didn't flag up the possibility....

Clutch - Earth Rocker

Definitely album of the year so far.  Very loud, very rocky, but with a fantastic groove.  These boys seem unstoppable.

Rob Jackson

Mar 27, 2013, 4:21:18 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
That ones on my list Muttley. Apparently it's rather short too. Correct?

Btw, the new Audrey Horne is also rather good.

Rob

Muttley

Mar 27, 2013, 8:37:59 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Rob

I wouldn't have said so really, It's about 45 mins long, just the right length for an album - fits on one side of a C90!

Also been listening to Shakespeare Alabama by Diesel Park West and March of Ghosts by Gazpacho.

XRWoody

Apr 3, 2013, 3:36:48 AM4/3/13
to classic rock magazine readers
NLT: Motherland by Pretty Maids.

Was recommended to me on another forum.

First listen was OK, second and third listen confirm this is a
storming album, very very good.

For me its on the heavy side of Ten, the rock riff side of Hammerfall.
Sprinklle a ounce of Def Leppard, Europe, Saxon and Accept (plus a
little more influence that I can't quite put my finger on) and you
have an excellent album.

Highly recommended 9/10

Rob Jackson

Apr 4, 2013, 12:40:41 PM4/4/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Still listening to the new Audrey Horne which gets better and better each time.

Rob

Rob Jackson

Apr 7, 2013, 4:18:42 AM4/7/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
The two new FM albums. FMs material tends to grow on me rather than being an instant like. This brace of Rockville albums are revealing their delights more and more with each play. I think Steve Overland is hugely under-rated as a singer. Good stuff.

Rob

Rob Jackson

Apr 7, 2013, 12:17:18 PM4/7/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
I've just listened to Clutching At Straws by Marillion for he first time in years. What an awesome album, I'd forgotten just how good it is.

To be honest its the only Fish period Marillion album I own. I've always worried the others wouldn't live up to CAS. Any thoughts on whether its worth taking a punt on any of them and, if so, which to go for?

Rob

Baz

Apr 8, 2013, 3:51:51 AM4/8/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Just to love marillion and always remember misplaced childhood and one of the first ones that I liked! But did like some Steve Hogarth albums as well!

NLT - Irish band Kopek Trucker just played with em In Dublin great 3 piece with a really good "story"! Next up few home gigs then France!

Sent from Barry's IPhone

Kat

Apr 9, 2013, 9:52:24 AM4/9/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Really enjoying the Virginmarys album, have been listening on spotify following very positive CR Review.

I saw them live in 2010 supporting Slash, remember they were good, but I never sought them out thereafter. What a waste of 3 years!

Kat

On Saturday, 27 October 2012 08:35:18 UTC+1, Rob wrote:
[...]

Woody

Apr 14, 2013, 6:05:03 PM4/14/13
to classic rock magazine readers

XRWoody

Apr 15, 2013, 10:26:29 AM4/15/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Not convined ? Here is an independant review I found on the internet,
100/100 (twice !)

PRETTY MAIDS - Motherland - 13 songs. Release year: 2013

Once in a while, great bands release a perfect album, an album so
strong you can listen to it over and over again without ever getting
bored of it, Motherland is such an album. Pretty Maids strongest album
since Future World and maybe actually the band's best effort to date
(let the complaining begin :) ).

Motherland is pure, melodic metal at its best. Ronnie Atkins vocals
are simply unbelievable. While the aggressive vocals can't reach the
intensity they have on Future World and Jump the Gun, the more
angelic, soft vocals are much better, maturity oblige I guess... Be it
fast romps like Mother of All Lies, Motherland, The Iceman or Why so
Serious, or ballads like Sad to See You Suffer (my favorite ballad
from PM with Please don't Leave Me), Bullet for You or even the Linkin
Park sounding (verse only) Infinity, there are no shortage of killer
tracks on this album. As a matter of fact every song is a killer,
plain and simple. The album doesn't repeat itself either, in the
twelve songs (1 intro) presented here, there isn't any song sounding
like another, it's all fresh, melodic and inspired material. Guitars
are heavy and incredibly backed up by modern yet amazing keyboard work
that gives each song an identity of their own. Pretty Maids found the
perfect balance between melody and heaviness. While some might argue
that the album contains some pop moments, I would say that if that's
the case, they simply enhance the songs, but at it's core, this is
metal, and grand metal as far as I'm concerned. I can already hear
people complain about how much the verse and piano intro of Infinity
sounds like Linkin Park. I recognized it immediately but the song
evolves to something else, something Pretty Maids and something
beautiful that leads to an emotion charged ballad. There are three
ballads, too much you say ? Listen to them first my friend ! Complain
later... If you can ! In any case it's nothing new, Pretty Maids is
known for releasing great ballads.

In order to compare this album and quote it appropriately I've
listened to Future World and Jump the Gun for two straight weeks in
between the easily 60 listens I've given Motherland. While some of the
best songs the band wrote are on both these albums (Future World,
Rodeo, Yellow Rain, Lethal Heroes, Savage Heart), but these two albums
are are less constant than Motherland, they have 4 to 6 ultra killer
songs, some great songs and a few that while good are still a few
notches lower. Motherland contains no such songs, they are all killer,
and while none beat Future World or Rodeo in my heart, the overall
album is the strongest to date nontheless and most songs are up there
approaching these two. Guitars are majestic, be it riffs or solos, and
keyboards are fresh and really helps the overall sound to attain a
perfect balance between melody and heaviness, but worry not, there is
enough heavy parts in Motherland.

I know not everyone will agree with the perfect score (as a matter of
fact I expect heavy resistance on that front :D), and that is your
right, but I also know many Pretty Maids fans will love this album,
wether they think it's perfect or not is up to anyone's opinion, but I
doubt that many of the band's fans won't like the album at all (that
would really surprise me). The album is also a grower, the first
listen was powerful enough but it's the subsequent repeats that
cemented this feeling, with discovering all the subtleties of each and
every song and to let those sink in and for the fantastic melodies to
burn into the listener's mind (forever).

It's not every day that a band release such a powerful, perfect album.
It's really great that Pretty Maids managed to evolve beyond their
roots and still deliver such a killer album late in their career.
Pandemonium was already a strong album (and a preview of things to
come I guess) but Motherland is in another league. Even so I never
expected it to be the sonic atomic bomb that it is ! Album of the year
hands down, eyes closed and no questions asked ! I've always loved
Pretty Maids and while some albums were weaker in the past two
decades, Motherland takes the crown and shows the world, in style,
that the Danish metallers still have what it takes to surprise us
greatly. Motherland is definitely the album to beat in 2013 !

Killing Songs : They all kill !

Chris 100 / 100
Danny 100 / 100

XRWoody

Apr 16, 2013, 8:33:55 AM4/16/13
to classic rock magazine readers
And here is another: Pretty Maids: Motherland

A stalwart of my youth Future World and Jump The Gun got worn out on
my old cassette player. I was captivated by the catchy hooks and
melodies which was something different and fresh to Bon Jovi and the
swathe of Sunset Strip bands flooding my ears. Pretty Maids have
really come back strong in the past few releases and I'm proud to say
Motherland continues with a stunning delivery of tracks. Produced by
the masterfully talented Jacob Hansen who continues the excellent work
from their previous release Pandemonium, it's a sonic velvet lined
triumph. Its heavy melodic anthems fully confirm that you can't put a
good band down, Ronnie Atkins giving his distinctive voice a good
airing. 'Mother Of all Lies' sets the sonic tone for what is a
pleasant trip back to familiar Pretty Maids territory, a heavy riff
fueled album opener. 'Sad To See You Suffer' takes things down a notch
while the fist pumping 'Hooligan' is sure to be a live favorite.

While the name Pretty Maids may suggest to the un-educated a bank of
amps, mic stands covered in scarves and spandex, believe me this band
bites. Motherland is a slab of melodic metal every fan should be
screaming to the clerk to hand over. The smiling assassins from
Denmark are back with their relevant, thought provoking lyrics and
enough riffs to keep the most hardened metal fan raising his horns.

Motherland continues the proud legacy that Pretty Maids have worked so
hard on, an absolute contender for everyone's top ten lists, massive
hooks complemented by massive riffs….What's not to like?

Track Listing:-
1. Mother Of All Lies
2. To Fool A Nation
3. Confession
4. The Iceman
5. Sad To See You Suffer
6. Hooligan
7. Infinity
8. Why So Serious
9. Motherland
10. I See Ghosts
11. Bullet For You
12. Who What Where When Why
13. Wasted

Added: April 12th 2013

Reviewer: Mark Davies
Score: 4.5/5

Muttley

May 8, 2013, 3:51:03 PM5/8/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Reign in Blood by Slayer

Because some days half an hour of evil and hate (with bonus Nazis) is the only thing that will do.

Bless you Jeff and rest in peace.

Rob Jackson

May 14, 2013, 12:03:46 PM5/14/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Got my hands on the new Clutch album now.

As usual (except for Operation Mindcrime of course) Muttley is correct. 'King awesome record.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

Muttley

May 21, 2013, 9:02:57 AM5/21/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Rob

You're too kind.......

..... to Operation Mindcrime.

NLT: Opus Eponymous by Ghost

Not really quite what I expected - Blue Oyster Cult giving praise to
the devil. Weird, but good weird.

XRWoody

May 22, 2013, 2:47:52 AM5/22/13
to classic rock magazine readers
Not sure there is any doubt about OM being a strong contender for best
album ever .....,,,

Anyway, just listed to "I Cant Explain What It Means" by D:A:D and I
cant explain why these are not the biggest band in England - superb.

NLT: The Man With The Golden Gun - The Sweet, brilliant, especially if
you like drummers.

XRWoody

May 22, 2013, 2:50:52 AM5/22/13
to classic rock magazine readers
NLT: The Man With The Golden Gun - The Sweet, brilliant, especially
if you like drummers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5uYMamLzI

XRWoody

May 22, 2013, 2:52:04 AM5/22/13
to classic rock magazine readers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_5uYMamLzI

NLT: The Man With The Golden Arm - The Sweet, brilliant, especially
if you like drummers.

Kat

Jun 8, 2013, 2:16:09 AM6/8/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Have been listening to the following

 - new Megadeth album - Super Collider - awesome
- new Alice in chains album - the devil put dinosaurs here - awesome
- new QOTSA album - like clockwork - awesome

Rock N Roll is alive and well!!!

Muttley

Jun 11, 2013, 1:12:21 PM6/11/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Been off work the last couple of days decorating. Tedious stuff but it does offer the chance to play plenty of stuff - and loud.

I agree with Kat about the new QOTSA album - a cracker. Also had a few listens to the Black Star Riders. Never been a huge Lizzy fan, although I like them well enough, so I didn't have any strong feelings about these one way or the other. I must say it's a good album overall - not pushing new boundaries or moving too far from the Lizzy sound, but definitely worth a listen.

Shock of the week though is how good the new Sabbath album is. I honestly wasn't expecting much but it's really rather good. Obvious classic feel to some of the tracks, but also an interesting mix of Dio-era sound with Ozzy's vocals on others - which actually works when I didn't think it would. Good stuff.

fred

Aug 10, 2013, 8:13:45 AM8/10/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Apologies to any 24rock listeners who heard (or rather did not hear) Someday by Nickleback this week. There was a fault when uploading and it sounded more like Slipknot played at ¼ speed - uuurrrrgggghhhhh. A kind listener from Belgium let me know about it.

The track is removed from the playlist but the quality and breadth of artist on the playlist is still without comparison. I compile the list each week and I can't believe how good it is myself, where else can you hear hundreds of non stop classic tracks mixed with the likes of

Toronto, BOA, John Hiatt, Bulletboys, Liar, Sheriff, Alvin Lee, Temple of the Dog, Hogjaw, Gamma, Gorky Park, Little Caesar, Gotthard, Frank Marino, Halestorm, Van Zant, Foghat, Shy, DAD,

Simply the best classic rock playlist on the planet
"Rock On" everybody

Fred

XRWoody

Aug 16, 2013, 3:34:11 AM8/16/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
NLT: No Fuel Left For The Pilgrims - D-A-D
             Wings of Heaven - Magnum

Nice to listen to some oldies sometimes.