Secret Santa 2011 Review

Steve M

Jan 5, 2012, 2:38:19 PM1/5/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Sixteen tracks that cover a variety of styles and includes music from
many groups that are new to me. Of the bands I’ve heard before or have
something by there is only one track that I already own.

1. Voice of Eujena by Brother Cane
A gentle start to the disc from a band I’ve never heard of. Very
enjoyable and worth checking out further.

2. Lit Up by Buckcherry
A band I’ve heard a few times before but never been moved to
investigate. This track I liked a lot and it’s convinced me that maybe
it’s time to take a closer look.

3. Gonna Raise Hell (live) by Cheap Trick
A decent track that went on a bit too long for me – just under nine
and half minutes – good guitar and drum solos that didn’t outstay
their welcome.

4. Watch ‘Em Burn by Joanne Shaw Taylor
An ok track that I felt would be better shorter as I found it somewhat
repetitive. May grow on me with repeated listens.

5. No Big Thing by Lit
Another new band to me that I enjoyed. Catchy chorus that has stuck
with me, making this a group that I’ll be checking out further.

6. Elektro Vakuum by Mardugada
Ok song that didn’t really grab me. I felt it sounded dated and the
verse vocals brought Mott the Hoople to mind – although I’m not really
sure why.

7. Slut Machine by Monster Magnet
Good song on first couple of listens but one that I’ve begun to get
bored by. Monster Magnet have always been a band to listen to in small
doses to me.

8. Tonight the Stars Revolt! by Powerman 5000
With it’s almost spoken verses and much more aggressive chorus this is
one of the heavier tracks in the collection. Enjoyed this a lot and
will be checking them out further.

9. Superhero by Reef
A catchy chorus and an ok song but didn’t do a lot for me.

10. 321 by Scorpions
This is the one song that I already own. A great track from a band
I’ve been a fan of since I first heard them all those years ago. Great
heavy sound and a very infectious chorus in typical Scorpions style.

11. Out of Tune by Supermarine Spitfire
Dated sound, particularly the vocals, that didn’t really click with
me.

12. Live Your Life (Down) by Tantric
A slower paced track that then turns heavier before slowing again,
from a band new to me, and one that I shall definitely be
investigating further.

13. Hell to La by The Jokers
With a sound and vocal style that reminded me of Wishbone Ash I’d mark
this one as good and say I’ll probably be checking them out too.

14. Starlite by Young Heart Attack
Really didn’t do anything for me and is my least liked track on the
disc.

15. Right Where I Belong by 3 Doors Down
Another band I’d not heard before with a catchy song that means I’ll
more than likely be checking them out further.

16. Crazy or High by Black Label Society
Even though I do own some of their albums, none have this song on
them. This is a great track that has me wanting to add to my Black
Label Society collection.

With only a couple of songs that didn’t really strike a chord with me
I’d say my Secret Santa has put together a successful CD that has
introduced me to a number of new bands that I’m looking forward to
investigating further. Thanks SS!

And who do I think my SS is?
I came to my conclusion by the process of elimination, with three or
four people to make the final choice from I finally decided to guess
at Orkstu.

Steve M :-)

orkstu

Jan 6, 2012, 3:10:25 PM1/6/12
to classic rock magazine readers
nice guess....apologies for the hastily arranged artwork et al, glad
the majority tickled your fancy

fred

Jan 28, 2012, 5:12:31 PM1/28/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Happy belated New Year to one and all.Where are all the reviews. Here
is mine.

Secret Santa review. I always look forward to what the group have to
offer each year. Sometimes I love the tracks, others are ok and some
do nothing for me. Last year was a curious affair so what for 2011.
Well I have had a shed full of listens to actually get my head around
this, here goes
1/ Argent – Hold Your Head Up.... We all know this, it’s on the radio
all the time, a great track a classic, but when you actually sit down
and listen to it as opposed to background music there is a lot going
on, a great track it is and a great start.
2/ Dream Theatre – New Millennium..... Starts great and overall a
decent progish tune, I like this but it does go on some. Never really
listen to them but I could get into this, not for the car though.
3/ Tinyfish – Big Red Spark..... Pleasant but not my cup of tea (don’t
drink tea so I don’t know why I should say that) reminds me of a
rockier version of some 80s new wave band, a little bit tears for
Fears
4/ Solstice – Flight.... err now thanks, really don’t like the female
vocals, some great guitars etc but no no no, those vocals.
5/ Nektar - Desolation Valley.... from the A Tab In the Ocean Album.
Are you getting the picture, a bit of a prog thing going on with this
Santa CD. Hard going this one, Nektar are hard going, although I love
their Recycled album, not a band I listen too much, they have some
great tracks but they are few and far between, I like them when they
rock and this don’t. I hope I’m not giving it away but I also put a
Nektar track on my Secret Santa disc.
6/ Presto Ballet – The Puzzle.... got that proggy thing going again,
starts as if it is Nektar again, bit of Genesis, Marillion, Magnum
mixed together, ok but not my taste, never heard of these but won’t be
checking them out
7/ Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Affair... one of only a few
tracks I know from this band, I just don’t get them but this is
perfectly ok, short and sweet.
8/ Rainbow – Tarot Woman, Great track from a stunning album, very
nice. My mp3 collection is called my RJD collection in honour of the
great man. This is more my taste.
9/ The Cult – Fire Woman, now we are rockin’ n rollin’, another great
track, possibly my favourite Cult track.
10/ Faith No More – From Out Of Nowhere.... another rocker, they are
ok with me but that’s as far as it goes, this is one of their better
known tunes I think,
11/ Velvet Revolver – Slither... the rockin continues. I was
disappointed by both their albums but this is a great record.
12/ Monster Magnet – Powertrip....Loved their last album and this is
one of their great rockin earlier albums, another r great rocker.
13/ Danko Jones - Baby Hates Me....I like Danko Jones, I see them as
a simpler AC/DC short poppy rock songs, good track keep them comin’
14/ Buckcherry – Lit Up.... Saw them live last year with Papa Roach,
who were fantastic. Buckcherry are ok, this is again one of their
better songs, a bit of a sing along so I like this but most of their
stuff sounds all the same to me, a good straight rock song.
15/ Finger Eleven – Paralyzer... never heard of them. This sounds very
modern with a dancy beat, reminds me of Maroon 5. I could dance along
to this no problem, very catchy
16/ Trombone Shorty – Suburbia.... Trombone rock???? Strange but I
kind of got into this, bit of a novelty song but if there is an album
full of this I would like to hear it, daft, different but very catchy.
When I gave this its first couple of spins I was not liking it much,
it was great from Rainbow on to Danko Jones but beyond that it was
not for me. After some more listens it has grown on me, from the Stone
Temple Pilots onwards I like it but the earlier prog stuff does not. A
CD of two half’s THE SECOND HALF FOR ME MY FRIENDS. Thank you Santa.
I think my Santa may be Cosbox.

Cosbox

Jan 29, 2012, 7:16:00 AM1/29/12
to classic rock magazine readers
Fred

Sorry to disappoint, but it was not me, though this does have some
very good tracks on that I may have put on.

To my Secret Santa, I am liking my CD (and will get a review out here
soon) Given its quite blues/rocky feel I will have a punt at Rob

Rob Jackson

Jan 30, 2012, 4:09:04 AM1/30/12
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Not that I remember!

Sorry.

Rob

Russ Morgan

Feb 3, 2016, 1:20:38 PM2/3/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Is there anyone out there?

Sent from my iPad

Rob Jackson

Feb 3, 2016, 1:44:21 PM2/3/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Hey Russ 😃

Rob Jackson FRSA
07557 419 074

Sent from my iPhone
(Typed with big thumbs on a small keyboard)

Carol Wilson

Feb 4, 2016, 4:03:53 PM2/4/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Just nod if you can hear me :-)

Hiya Russ

Muttley

Mar 22, 2016, 10:07:59 AM3/22/16
to classic rock magazine readers
Is there a revival in the air????

Rob Jackson

Mar 22, 2016, 10:08:47 AM3/22/16
to Classic Rock eGroup

barry_mc...@sky.com

Mar 22, 2016, 10:34:13 AM3/22/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Couldnt see it, i cant even log onto group anymore, why not set up a closed facebook group and only invite the ppl you know where in the old group. Some of these other groups do my head in LOL

barry_mc...@sky.com

Mar 22, 2016, 10:58:16 AM3/22/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
If you want me to set it up i can add the ppl i have here and make us all admin?

Barry

Muttley

Mar 22, 2016, 11:02:27 AM3/22/16
to classic rock magazine readers, barry_mc...@sky.com
I'd have to learn how to use Facebook!!!!

But for you guys.....

On Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at 2:58:16 PM UTC, bazmc wrote:
If you want me to set it up i can add the ppl i have here and make us all admin?

Barry

On Tuesday, 22 March 2016, 14:08, Rob Jackson <robjac...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

That’d be nice
On 22 Mar 2016, at 14:07, Muttley <mutt-un...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

Is there a revival in the air????

On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 9:03:53 PM UTC, Carol wrote:
Just nod if you can hear me :-)

Hiya Russ

On 03/02/2016 18:20, Russ Morgan wrote:
> Is there anyone out there?
>
> Sent from my iPad

Lynne Hampson

Mar 22, 2016, 11:15:38 AM3/22/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
I'm on FB too , and font use the classic rock readers group much I am on FB quite a bit!
Lynne

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to classic-rock-mag-r...@googlegroups.com.

Rob Jackson

Mar 22, 2016, 11:17:55 AM3/22/16
to Classic Rock eGroup
I’m up for that.

Rob

Muttley

Mar 22, 2016, 11:28:22 AM3/22/16
to classic rock magazine readers
I'll give it a go!

I only clicked on the group by mistake! Good to see that people are still out there.

barry_mc...@sky.com

Mar 22, 2016, 12:58:02 PM3/22/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
It seems i have to add at least 1 current friend to make a group, can someone who is on facebook add me a a friend LOL.

Search For Barry McClelland, my profile picture is a rather handsome chap drinking a beer with a mountain behind him. I will then add everyone here and make us all admin, and you can then add others who you know? I will also keep the group a "secret" group which means no one else only those invited can see it?

Any other thoughts?

Barry

Rob Jackson

Lynne Hampson

Mar 22, 2016, 1:48:50 PM3/22/16
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Me too! I can't find you either Rob.. Mine is Lynne Hampson
Best Lynne

Sent from my iPhone

Muttley

Mar 24, 2016, 7:55:01 AM3/24/16