Sabbath Challenge

Muttley

Mar 25, 2013, 9:59:15 AM3/25/13
to classic rock magazine readers
How about a bit of a lark?

I was reading Tony Iommi's book recently which started me listening to
a few Sabbath albums. This led me on to some pointless speculation
which I thought I'd pass on to you chaps.

Your task, should you choose to accept, is to put together the
tracklisting for a single cd collection of the best Sabbath tracks
that don't appear on their standard 'best of'. I know track lengths
vary, but I think we should go for 15. Any period of Sabbath will do,
studio tracks only.

As the available best of's vary too - this is the listing from mine
and these are the banned tracks:

Black Sabbath
The Wizard
N.I.B.
Evil Woman (Don't Play Your Games With Me)
Wicked World
War Pigs
Paranoid
Planet Caravan
Iron Man
Electric Funeral
Fairies Wear Boots
Sweet Leaf
Embryo
Children Of The Grave
Lord Of This World
Into The Void

Tomorrow's Dream
Supernaut
Snowblind
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Killing Yourself To Live
Spiral Architect
Hole In The Sky
Don't Start (Too Late)
Symptom Of The Universe
Am I Going Insane (Radio)
Dirty Women
Never Say Die
Hard Road
Heaven And Hell
Turn Up The Night
The Dark/Zero The Hero

Tricky eh?

Barry McClelland

Mar 25, 2013, 10:07:57 AM3/25/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
  1. "Neon Knights" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Bill Ward) – 3:51
  2. "Lady Evil" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward) – 4:23
    • Originally from Heaven and Hell
  3. "Heaven and Hell" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward) – 6:59
    • Originally from Heaven and Hell
  4. "Die Young" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward) – 4:44
    • Originally from Heaven and Hell
  5. "Lonely is the Word" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward) – 5:50
    • Originally from Heaven and Hell
  6. "The Mob Rules" – 3:13
  7. "Turn Up the Night" – 3:42
    • Originally from Mob Rules
  8. "Voodoo" – 4:32
    • Originally from Mob Rules
  9. "Falling Off the Edge of the World" – 5:03
    • Originally from Mob Rules
  10. "After All (The Dead)" – 5:42
  11. "TV Crimes" – 4:02
    • Originally from Dehumanizer
  12. "I" – 5:12
    • Originally from Dehumanizer
  13. "Children of the Sea" (live) (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward) – 6:12
  14. In for the kill - From seventh Star
  15. No stranger to love - from seventh Star

Will probably piss some people off but much prefered Dio Era sabbath the Ozzy

fred

Mar 25, 2013, 5:16:13 PM3/25/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
My list would have to include the following, those underlined could have made my list had all tracks been available

Wheels of Confusion,

Changes,

Megalomania

The Writ

Under The Sun – Every Day Comes and Goes

Gypsy

Back Street Kids

You Won’t Change Me

Psycho Man

Neon Nights

Children of the Sea

Die Young

Country Girl,

TV Crimes

Ear in the Wall

Muttley

Mar 27, 2013, 3:48:15 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com

Some interesting choices there.  Mine would be the following - I've tried to follow Fred's example but can't get the underline to work so I've starred the ones I would have on any full best of.

Behind the Wall of Sleep
Hand of Doom
After Forever*
Wheels of Confusion
Sabbra Cadabra
Looking For Today
Megalomania*
Gypsy*
Rock n Roll Doctor
Neon Knights*
Die Young*
Sign of the Southern Cross*
Country Girl*
Falling of the Edge of the World
Seventh Star

Any more suggestions?

PS I still think Heaven & Hell should have called themselves The Neon Knights instead.

Steve M

Mar 27, 2013, 4:50:55 PM3/27/13
to classic-rock...@googlegroups.com
Having always been a Black Sabbath fan and seeing the list of "banned" tracks and those already listed by others from the Ozzy and Dio eras and as I would probably just be repeating the choices of those above, I thought I'd put together a selection from the Tony Martin albums, as in my mind/ears there are some excellent songs to be found there, so....

Eternal Idol
Headless Cross
Devil and Daughter
When Death Calls