nukernel Continued Development

Copland DeveloperChris Coxe

Jul 19, 2011, 1:15:57 PM7/19/11
to Classic Macintosh Software Development
Hi all, I've been working on NuKernel for nearly two years now so the
community that uses Classic Mac OS will be able to bost about their
amazing version of multitasking. If ANYONE is willing to help, please
email me. Thanks.

Eric Fretz

Jul 19, 2011, 1:31:00 PM7/19/11
to classic...@googlegroups.com
I would be willing to help.  What is your task list, languanges used (C/C++/Assember, I assume) and what is your build environment?

I currently have MPW & CW 7.1 installed on a Classic G3 iBook as my build host.

Cheers,
Eric

Cameron Kaiser

Jul 19, 2011, 1:52:06 PM7/19/11
to classic...@googlegroups.com

I've heard this float around before, but I think people are going to want
to see a proof of concept (I know I would before sinking time into it).
What do you have that people can play with?

Cameron Kaiser * Floodgap Systems * www.floodgap.com * cka...@floodgap.com
-- The whippings shall continue until morale improves. ------------------------

Dean Howell

Jul 19, 2011, 1:56:32 PM7/19/11
to classic...@googlegroups.com
I would be willing to set up a subversion server for you so that you can track changes and allow for people to check-out code.  I can install TRAC too so that you can control your bugs.
--
Dean Howell, MCP

platnicat

Jul 19, 2011, 5:02:11 PM7/19/11
to classic...@googlegroups.com

I'll happily build and test it, although I don't know any programming languages. I do know enough to fix typos, compile things, and troubleshoot.

Joshua Juran

Jul 19, 2011, 10:01:37 PM7/19/11
On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Copland DeveloperChris Coxe wrote:

> Hi all, I've been working on NuKernel for nearly two years now so the
> community that uses Classic Mac OS will be able to bost about their
> amazing version of multitasking.

Holy crap! Really? Do you have the source somehow, or is this from
scratch?

> If ANYONE is willing to help, please
> email me. Thanks.

I'm definitely interested. I've been developing a POSIX-like
environment for classic Mac OS called MacRelix. It allows writing
programs using blocking I/O, though it it's fundamentally
cooperatively multitasked and its responsiveness depends on programs
minimizing time spent between system calls. But theoretically it
should be possible to install some kind of interrupt handler (e.g.
Time, VBL, etc.) that walks the stack until it reaches user code and
either munge it to force a preemption or at least terminate the
offending thread. Another option is to use MPTasks or 68K preemptive
threads.

http://www.metamage.com/code/MacRelix/

https://github.com/jjuran/metamage_1

I'd love to see what you've done so far.

Josh

Joshua Juran

Jul 19, 2011, 10:13:22 PM7/19/11
On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Dean Howell wrote:

> I would be willing to set up a subversion server for you so that
> you can track changes and allow for people to check-out code. I
> can install TRAC too so that you can control your bugs.

I'm neutral on bug trackers for now, but is there any reason not to
use a DVCS like Git?

For what it's worth, I've ported a subset of git to classic Mac OS by
way of MacRelix. I don't have ssh yet, but git-fetch over the Git-
native protocol and git-daemon both work.

Josh