First condor born in Oregon in a century

United Press International

May 10, 2004, 6:51:09 PM5/10/04

PORTLAND, Ore., May 10 (UPI) -- The first California condor
born in Oregon in more than 100 years has completed a four-day
regimen to peck its way out of its shell.
The chick began hatching Thursday at the new Condor Creek
Conservation Facility in Clackamas County, part of the Oregon Zoo.
But it wasn't until Sunday or Mothers' Day -- 60 days after the egg
was laid -- that the endangered bird had fully emerged, the
Oregonian reported.
Its gender has not been identified. Within 6 months the
chick will be full grown, weighing 20 pounds and standing 3 feet
tall.
"This has been draining," said Joe Burnett, assistant
curator for condors. "I feel like I've had a baby or something."
The population of the largest North American flying bird now
stands at 233, down 22 birds from 1982.
The facility, opened last fall, is the fourth condor
breeding outfit in the world.