Clinton: Raid a success, civilian losses regretted ``very much''

UPI

Jun 27, 1993, 2:22:41 PM6/27/93
WASHINGTON (UPI) -- President Clinton said Sunday he considers the
missile raid against an Iraqi intelligence center in Baghdad a success
but regrets ``very much'' that civilians were killed when some missiles
missed their targets.
Clinton, before attending Sunday services at the Foundry Methodist
Church, said he had been briefed by Gen. Colin Powell, chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, earlier concerning ``what we know so far about
the mission.''
``It's clear that it was a success,'' Clinton said.
Clinton ordered the raid Saturday against Iraqi intelligence
headquarters after ``compelling evidence'' showed the Saddam Hussein
regime plotted to assassinate former President George Bush during his
visit to Kuwait in April.
Iraqi officials said at least six people were killed and many more
wounded, and that claims of a plot against Bush were ``baseless.''
Asked about the civilian deaths, Clinton said: ``I regret that very
much. But I would remind you that the reason the mission was carried out
at the time it was and in the way it was, was to try to minimize the
loss of life.
``Almost all of the missiles landed within the intelligence compound.
I'm always sorry when there is a loss of life. But also remember that we
were trying to avoid killing civilians while still expressing our
conviction about an Iraqi-planned attack, the purpose of which was to
blow up a bomb that had a 400-yard radius in the middle of downtown
Kuwait City, which would have killed hundreds and hundreds of civilians.
``I think we had minimal loss of life and we sent the message we
needed to send,'' Clinton said.
Secretary of State Warren Christopher, appearing on ABC's ``This Week
with David Brinkley'' program, said, ``We went into downtown Baghdad,
showed them that we could knock out a building with pinpoint accuracy. I
think that sends a very strong message. Probably doesn't end the story,
but it certainly is a reminder to him that we've got the capacity to
hurt him very badly.''
Twenty-three Tomahawks were launched at the intelligence center from
U.S. ships in the Red Sea and Persian Gulf. The Tomahawk is a highly
accurate sea-launched cruise missile with a range of about 1,550 miles
and a cruising speed of about 550 mph.
Senior Pentagon briefers said Sunday at least seven of the missiles
hit what they called ``the leadership wing'' of the intelligence
service, which sustained severe damage.
In some cases more than one of the 1,000-pound missile warheads
exploded in the same place.
At least another four missiles hit other target buildings. Another
four missed their targets but landed within the intelligence complex.
Three missiles landed in residential areas outside the complex.
Briefers said the missiles were timed to arrive within a five-minute
interval starting at 2:00 a.m. Baghdad time and the timing was meant to
keep loss of life to a minimum.
Powell, appearing on CNN, said the attack was ``appropriate and it
was very proportional.'' Powell, scheduled to retire at the end of
September, said he had recommended the attack be made at night to keep
casualties low.
``It's a judgment call you have to make. We wanted to inflict damage
on the facility rather than to run up the body count,'' Powell said.
Also appearing on CNN, Secretary of Defense Les Apsin said, ``The
trail leading back to the IIS is pretty clear.'' He refused to say that
the U.S. personally blames Hussein for the plot against Bush. But Aspin
made it clear that U.S. policymakers believe the plot was supported
``from the highest levels'' of Iraqi authority.
On NBC's ``Meet the Press'' program, Powell said he did not envision
any further action in connection with the Saturday raid but he held out
the possibility the United States would strike again if provoked.
``Sufficient U.S. forces remain in the region for that,'' he said,
adding that Saturday's action was stand-alone and ``there's no immediate
follow-up planned.''
``We did it not to level Baghdad,'' he said of the U.S. action. ``We
did it for the purpose of making a statement: That we will defend our
interests and we hope that they (the Iraqis) now recognize that.''
Powell also said various U.S. naval assets were being redeployed in
the region, at least temporarily, including moving the USS Roosevelt
into the Red Sea.
Early Sunday, the State Department released a general warning to U.S.
citizens planning overseas travel. The warning urged ``greater than
usual caution in light of the tension likely to follow'' such events as
the strike against Iraq and the World Trade Center bombing in February.