welcome all

Joe Hellerstein

Aug 19, 2008, 1:38:01 AM8/19/08
to claremontreport
After almost 3 months of writing and review, we have posted the
consensus report of the Claremont meeting online at http://db.cs.berkeley.edu/claremont.

Merriam-Webster defines "consensus" as follows (http://www.merriam-
webster.com/dictionary/consensus):

1 a: general agreement : unanimity <the consensus of their opinion,
based on reports…from the border — John Hersey> b: the judgment
arrived at by most of those concerned <the consensus was to go ahead>
2: group solidarity in sentiment and belief

The spirit of the report is closer to 1(b) and 2 than it is (1a).
True unanimity is a hard thing to come by. But the report does reflect
judgement we arrived at after 2 days of discussion and a number of
rounds of email and multi-party editing.

This discussion group was set up for general use: all are welcome in a
spirit of healthy debate. None of the meeting participants has signed
up to serve as a representative or moderator in any way here, so do
not expect us to either represent or be moderate. Questions posed to
the authors will not get "official" answers, whatever those might be.

Regards,
Joe Hellerstein

magda.ba...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2008, 4:29:04 AM8/20/08
to claremontreport
It is nice to read such an enthusiastic report and see how the outlook
for our field has changed since the laments at CIDR 2005.

magda