[cl-ppcre-devel] I can't install CL-UNICODE

Hiroshi Sakate

Jan 17, 2011, 6:26:18 AM1/17/11
to cl-ppcr...@common-lisp.net
To: cl-ppcre-devel members

Hi I'm Hiroshi.

I want to use CL-EMB on sbcl.
But in the installation, I get error for CL-UNICODE.
I have been installed correctly last year.
May be beginning of December is OK.
In these days, this problem occured.

[environment]
* Ubuntu Linux 10.04 lucid
* SBCL 1.0.29.11.debian

[procedure]
$rm -rf .sbcl
$sbcl

(require :asdf)
(require :asdf-install)
(asdf-install:install :cl-unicode)

choose "Personal installation"
choose [SKIP-GPG-CHECK] for cl-unicode
choose [SKIP-GPG-CHECK] again for cl-ppcre

Then this message appears.
debugger invoked on a SB-INT:SIMPLE-FILE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD
"initial thread" RUNNING {AA5E589}>:
failed to find the WRITE-DATE of
/home/test/.sbcl/site/cl-unicode-0.1.1/lists.lisp:
No such file or directory

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
0: [RETRY] Retry installation
1: Retry installation
2: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

(SB-IMPL::SIMPLE-FILE-PERROR
"failed to find the WRITE-DATE of ~A"
#P"/home/test/.sbcl/site/cl-unicode-0.1.1/lists.lisp"
2)

And I have made a backup of .sbcl last year.
So I copied "lists.lisp" to /home/test/.sbcl/site/cl-unicode-0.1.1/
Do above process (except for rm) again.
Then installation have finished correctly.

How can I install CL-UNICODE without copy lists.lisp?
Or why this problem occurs.

I don't know that asking here is correct or not.
But I don't know well about lisp communities.

Sincerely,
Hiroshi

Edi Weitz

Jan 17, 2011, 7:25:09 AM1/17/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Hi,

It's fine to ask here.

The file lists.lisp should be generated automatically the first time
you load CL-UNICODE. As that didn't seem to happen in your case, I
can only guess that there's some incompatibility in your setup. What
for example is the version of ASDF you are using?

Maybe someone else on this list has an idea?

Cheers,
Edi.

Hiroshi Sakate

Jan 17, 2011, 8:22:08 AM1/17/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Thank you for your quick replying!

Hmmm, checking version of ASDF was difficult for me.

I tried this command.
(asdf:asdf-version)
But I got
Symbol "ASDF-VERSION" not found in the ASDF package.

And download sbcl source "sbcl_1.0.29.11.orig.tar.gz" from
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/sbcl/1:1.0.29.11-1ubuntu1

Then I got this from contrib/asdf/asdf.lisp
;;; This is asdf: Another System Definition Facility. 1.130

contrib/asdf-install/asdf-install.asd
(defsystem asdf-install
:depends-on (sb-posix sb-bsd-sockets)
:version "0.2"
#+sb-building-contrib :pathname
#+sb-building-contrib "SYS:CONTRIB;ASDF-INSTALL;"
:components ((:file "defpackage")
(:file "installer" :depends-on ("defpackage"))))

Is this correct information?
If you want other information please ask me.

Cheers,
Hiroshi.

Desmond O. Chang

Jan 17, 2011, 11:09:28 PM1/17/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Hi Hiroshi,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 21:22, Hiroshi Sakate
<sak...@sc.sys.es.osaka-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Thank you for your quick replying!
>
> Hmmm, checking version of ASDF was difficult for me.
>
> I tried this command.
> (asdf:asdf-version)
> But I got
>     Symbol "ASDF-VERSION" not found in the ASDF package.

ASDF-VERSION only exists in ASDF2. Try this:

(or #+asdf2 (asdf:asdf-version) #+asdf :old)

If it returns a version number, that's the version of ASDF
installed. If it returns the keyword :OLD, then you're using an old
version of ASDF (from before 1.635). If it returns NIL then ASDF is
not installed.

See ASDF manual 2.2 for details.

> And download sbcl source "sbcl_1.0.29.11.orig.tar.gz"  from
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/+source/sbcl/1:1.0.29.11-1ubuntu1
>
> Then I got this from contrib/asdf/asdf.lisp
> ;;; This is asdf: Another System Definition Facility.  1.130
>

> contrib/asdf-install/asdf-install.asd
> (defsystem asdf-install
>   :depends-on (sb-posix sb-bsd-sockets)
>   :version "0.2"
>   #+sb-building-contrib :pathname
>   #+sb-building-contrib "SYS:CONTRIB;ASDF-INSTALL;"
>   :components ((:file "defpackage")
>                (:file "installer" :depends-on ("defpackage"))))
>
> Is this correct information?
> If you want other information please ask me.

Please upgrade SBCL first. It has included ASDF2 in recent versions.

Thanks,
Des

Hiroshi Sakate

Jan 18, 2011, 5:55:03 AM1/18/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Thank you Des and Edi

And I'm sorry that was my fault.
I finished to install CL-UNICODE in very simple process.

1. Install Ubuntu 10.04
2. Install sbcl
3. $ ls .sbcl -> No such file or directory
4. Install CL-UNICODE
5. Finished properly.

The version check result is below. It's old ASDF!
* (or #+asdf2 (asdf:asdf-version) #+asdf :old)

:OLD

Then what is the reason?
I tried below at new machine which is installed Ubuntu&CL-UNICODE.

6. $ mv .sbcl .sbcl.bak
7. install CL-UNICODE
8. lists.lisp not found!

I have removed .sbcl to test installation process.
That is the problem.

And I tried same test on Ubuntu "10.10"
SBCL version: 1.0.40.0
ASDF version: 1.704

First and Second installation completed successfully!

So I think the reason is
"Ubuntu 10.04 bug" or "old asdf bug" or both.

Do you know about any problem on old asdf?

Anyway I can install CL-UNICODE properly.
Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Hiroshi

Desmond O. Chang

Jan 18, 2011, 10:13:49 AM1/18/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 18:55, Hiroshi Sakate
<sak...@sc.sys.es.osaka-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> So I think the reason is
> "Ubuntu 10.04 bug" or "old asdf bug" or both.
>
> Do you know about any problem on old asdf?

Although I don't know the root problem of it, you should not use
deprecated ASDF1 any more. Fortunately, It's very easy to load ASDF2
into your implementation, even it only has ASDF1. Check ASDF manual.

Hiroshi Sakate

Jan 18, 2011, 8:51:57 PM1/18/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Thank you Des

OK. I'll check about ASDF2.
If I get some new information, I'll report you again.
Maybe the report will be in March.

Cheers,
Hiroshi

Hiroshi Sakate

Hiroshi Sakate

Feb 9, 2011, 6:44:26 AM2/9/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Dear Des and Edi

Long time no see and thank you.
I could solve the problem with ASDF2!

And I am impressed that installing ASDF2 is very easy.

After the problem occured.
1. Download asdf.lisp
2. Run sbcl and
(load "/path/to/your/installed/asdf.lisp")
(require :asdf)
(require :asdf-install)
(asdf-install:install :cl-ppcre)
3. quit and run again sbcl and
(require :cl-ppcre)
(require :cl-unicode)

That's OK even if I didn't write anything on .sbclrc.

But, if I want to write "load asdf.lisp" on .sbclrc,
where should I allocate asdf.lisp?
Now I allocated it at ~/.sbcl/site/asdf/asdf.lisp
Is it natural?

Hiroshi Sakate

Feb 9, 2011, 6:51:01 AM2/9/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Dear Des and Edi

(I got a trouble in sending email.
If you get duplicate email, I'm sorry for it)

Long time no see and thank you.
I could solve the problem with ASDF2!

And I am impressed that installing ASDF2 is very easy.

After the problem occured.
1. Download asdf.lisp
2. Run sbcl and
(load "/path/to/your/installed/asdf.lisp")

(require :asdf)
(require :asdf-install)

(asdf-install:install :cl-ppcre)
3. quit and run again sbcl and
(require :cl-ppcre)
(require :cl-unicode)

That's OK even if I didn't write anything on .sbclrc.

But, if I want to write "load asdf.lisp" on .sbclrc,
where should I allocate asdf.lisp?
Now I allocated it at ~/.sbcl/site/asdf/asdf.lisp
Is it natural?

Cheers,
Hiroshi

Desmond O. Chang

Feb 10, 2011, 10:18:46 AM2/10/11
to General interest list about cl-ppcre and cl-unicode
Hi Hiroshi,

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 19:44, Hiroshi Sakate
<sak...@sc.sys.es.osaka-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Dear Des and Edi
>
> Long time no see and thank you.
> I could solve the problem with ASDF2!
>
> And I am impressed that installing ASDF2 is very easy.
>
> After the problem occured.
> 1. Download asdf.lisp
> 2. Run sbcl and
> (load "/path/to/your/installed/asdf.lisp")
> (require :asdf)
> (require :asdf-install)
> (asdf-install:install :cl-ppcre)
> 3. quit and run again sbcl and
> (require :cl-ppcre)
> (require :cl-unicode)
>

> That's OK even if I didn't write anything on .sbclrc.
>
> But, if I want to write "load asdf.lisp" on .sbclrc,
> where should I allocate asdf.lisp?
> Now I allocated it at ~/.sbcl/site/asdf/asdf.lisp
> Is it natural?

I put "load" in ~/.config/common-lisp/config.lisp, then symlink
".sbclrc", ".ccl-init.lisp" and ".clisprc.lisp" to that file, so that
I can configure all implementations in one file.

You can put asdf.lisp anywhere you want, but the same directory is
better, you can load it like the following:

---------
(load (make-pathname :name "asdf" :type "lisp" :defaults *load-truename*))
---------

Since many implementations already have ASDF2 now, you can write like
this:

---------
(ignore-errors (require :asdf)) ; maybe faster

#-asdf2
(load asdf2...)
---------

ASDF2 supports several ways to loading itself. You can choose the
best one for yourself.

Hope that helps.