How Do I Know How Big My Septic Tank Is?

Ram Babu

Oct 5, 2022, 3:30:08 AM10/5/22
to Civilgang

Septic tanks are available in a variety of sizes based on the size of your home. However, homeowners generally don’t know the size of their tank, especially if they didn’t have it installed.

The size of the septic tank is a crucial piece of information that impacts how often it should be serviced. Failing to adequately care for your septic system can lead to unpleasant and costly consequences.

Read More: 900 gallon septic tank

Tips for Determining Your Septic Tank Size

First, look for documents you may have that indicate the size of your septic tank. If you know the name of the company that installed your septic system, contact them to see if they have this information on file.

The company that provided the most recent maintenance service on the tank may also have information about the size of your septic tank.

Try to corroborate any information you find if possible. Additionally, your local county Environmental Health Dpartment may also have some records on file.

Read More: concrete septic tank lid replacement

You can make an educated guess based on your home’s size. The appropriate size of the tank depends on the size of the home. Generally, homes with one or two bedrooms should have a 750-gallon tank.

This number grows as a home’s square footage and the number of bedrooms increase. Three-bedroom homes should have a 1,000-gallon tank, while four- and five-bedroom homes require septic tanks with capacities of 1,250 and 1,500 gallons, respectively.

Read More: septic tank lifespan

Find Accurate Information

While the size of your home and records you find may provide insight to help you make an educated guess about the size of your tank, it may still be just a guess.

To know for sure, you’ll need a plumbing professional to service your system. By pumping and inspecting your tank, an experienced plumbing service can give you precise information about its size and condition.

Once you know the size of your septic tank, you should then find out whether it’s sufficient for your family’s needs. The wrong size tank may have been installed initially.

Read More: how to stop a leaky ceiling

Also, subsequent home renovations may cause the house to exceed the limitations of the existing tank. Having a regular septic tank maintenance scheduled will ensure your septic tank is pumped frequently enough for its size.

Above all, to schedule tank maintenance or find answers to your questions about septic systems and other plumbing-related issues, contact The Pink Plumber today. Our expert plumbers have 50 years of combined experience, and we’re available 24/7 for emergencies.